Fall 2017 Schedule of GS-100 Classes
GS-100 classes start on Tuesday, August 22nd.
GS-100-A TUE/THUR 9:00-9:50 a.m.
GS-100-B TUE/THUR 11:30-12:20 p.m.
GS-100-C MON/WED 9:00-9:50 a.m.
GS-100-D MON/WED 10:30-11:20 a.m.
GS-100-E MON/WED 11:30-12:20 p.m.
GS-100-F MON/WED 1:30-2:20 p.m.
Strategies for Academic Success (GS-100) is a 1-credit learning strategies and study skills course appropriate for Valpo students who want to enhance their academic achievement. Through focused discussion on course materials, peer interaction, skill development, self-assessment, visits to campus resources, and other activities, students will discover and integrate best practices for achieving their college goals. GS-100 is particularly beneficial to first-year students as it supports their successful transition to college life at Valpo.
Course Topics Include:
- Effective Learning Strategies
- Establishing Good Study Habits
- Character Strengths & Grit
- Test Preparation (Study Plans)
- Test-Taking Techniques
- Time Management
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Goal Setting & Motivation
- Reading Strategies
- Note-Taking Skills
- Connecting to campus academic support resources
General Course Information:
- GS-100 is a 1-credit course that meets for two 50-minute class sessions each week.
- Classes run over a shortened 13-week period and meet for a total of 25 sessions.
- Students are required to complete three hours outside of class to conduct campus resource visits.
- Class size is small, which allows for group discussion and peer interaction in a collaborative learning environment.
- Required Textbook: Student Success in College: Doing what works (2nd Ed.) by C. Harrington.