FALL 2014: Register Now
Classes start August 26, 2014
Schedule of Classes:
GS-100-A Wed 11:30-12:20 p.m.
GS-100-B Mon 3:30-4:20 p.m.
GS-100-C Mon 11:30-12:20 p.m.
GS-100-D Tue 11:30-12:20 p.m.
GS-100-F Tue 2:30-3:20 p.m.
GS-100-G Tues 5:30-6:20 p.m
GS-100-H Thu 12:30-1:20 p.m.
GS-100-K Mon 11:30-12:20 p.m.
Strategies for Academic Success is a seminar designed for
students who want to enhance their academic achievement by strengthening their
learning strategies and study skills. Through focused discussion on
course materials, peer interaction, skill development, self-assessment, visits
to campus resources, and other activities, students will identify the best
practices for achieving their college goals. Freshmen may find
the fall course particularly helpful with adjustment challenges as they make
the transition to college life.
Course Topics Include:
- Effective Learning Strategies
- Establishing Good Study Habits
- Test Preparation (Study Plans)
- Test-Taking Techniques
- Time Management
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Goal Setting & Motivation
- Decision Making
- Reading Strategies
- Note-Taking Skills
- Strengths Assessment
- Connecting to campus academic support resources
General Course Information:
- GS-100 is a 1-credit course that meets for one 50-minute class session per week.
- Class meets for a total of 14 sessions, plus students are required to complete 4 hours outside of class to conduct campus resource visits.
- Class size is small, which allows for group discussion and peer interaction in a collaborative learning environment.
- Textbook: Student Success in College: Doing what works (1st Ed.) by C. Harrington