Exit Counseling on the web will take about 30 minutes. You will be required to use your federal PIN to access the site. The PIN was mailed to you when you completed the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA. If you no longer have your PIN, you may request a duplicate as explained in step 2 below.
Note: We have been advised that it is important that you use a recent version of Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator or the AOL browser to access the NSLDS website.
- Go to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for Students web site at www.nslds.ed.gov/ and then click on Exit Counseling at the bottom of the page.
- After two pages of introductory information, you will then be asked for some identifying information along with your federal PIN, the PIN you used for completing your FAFSA. (If you do not have your PIN, you may request a duplicate at www.pin.ed.gov)
- On the next page, you will be asked to select the school from which you are exiting. Once you have added Valparaiso University (001842), click Submit.
- The next several pages will review various loan topics, including types of loans, terminology, interest rates, entering repayment and repayment options, deferment and forbearance options, loan default and loan consolidation.
- Throughout the review, there will be various quizzes to review the information that was in each section.
- Once you have passed the quizzes, you will be given information on additional resources and tips.
- The final steps will be to verify and/or provide the information they have about you, including your permanent address and your employer (if known) and the names and addresses of two references. You will then review the Borrower Rights and Responsibility information.
- Upon completion of the above, you should get a Congratulations page and you will have satisfied the federal requirement for exit counseling.
- It will be important for you to make note of the Servicer of your loans as you go through this process as well as their contact information. This information can be found on the page that includes the listing of your loans. Click on the blue number adjacent to each loan to learn the name of your servicer. You will need to be in touch with the servicer whenever you want to change your payment plan, change address, and/or are having any difficulty at all in making your payments.
- To assist you in the exit counseling process, here is a PowerPoint Presentation of facts and tips of the loans you have borrowed. This does NOT fulfill the exit counseling rquirement.
At any point in the Exit counseling process, if you have questions or concerns about the process or your loans, please don’t hesitate to visit our office