What should you bring to January FOCUS?
- Book bag for carrying registration materials
- iPad, Android, or other tablet device or laptop for course advising – a smartphone is not sufficient for this task
- Warm, water-proof shoes or boots, hat, gloves, and winter coat for walking between buildings
- Clothing layers – it will be very cold outside and warm inside
- Calculator for math placement
Students Living On Campus
All students who will be living on campus for spring semester will move into their residence hall room on Sunday, January 3, between 12 and 5 p.m. Central Standard Time. Check in at the front desk of your residence hall. You have the rest of the evening to get settled into your room. There are no orientation activities on Sunday, January 3.
Parents/Guardians or any other guests of students participating in FOCUS should make their own overnight arrangements off campus for the day or days surrounding their FOCUS session. There are a variety of local lodging options near campus. If you call a hotel to arrange overnight accommodations, be sure to mention that you are attending an event at Valparaiso University as many hotels offer a special university discount.
Meals provided to all registered FOCUS participants include continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Students or parents/guardians with special needs should notify FOCUS staff at 219-464-5413 prior to arriving to make arrangements for appropriate accommodations.
Disability Support Services should also be contacted if there is a student with a documented disability.