Your score on placement exams determines at what level you begin instruction in that subject at Valparaiso University.
Foreign Language Placement
French, German, and Spanish placement exams should be completed online prior to FOCUS by domestic students who intend to continue these languages at Valpo. International students do not need to take foreign language placement.
Who must take a foreign language at Valpo?
- All domestic students in the College of Arts and Sciences
- All domestic students in the College of Business
- Any student in the College of Nursing and Health Professions or College of Engineering who intends to continue elective study of a language s/he began in high school
Chemistry placement should be completed online prior to attending FOCUS by all domestic and international students who intend to study any of the following at Valpo:
- Environmental Science
- Kinesiology – Exercise Science
- Pre-Medical Arts (Pre-Medicine, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Veterinarian, Pre-Optometry, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Pharmacy, etc.)
Nursing and Engineering majors should NOT take Chemistry Placement.
Students who have already taken and passed a college chemistry course should NOT take Chemistry Placement.
The exam is timed. Students have 50 minutes to complete the exam. A calculator is provided on the exam or students may use their own for calculation purposes only.
The username and password to enter the exam are:
Students who have not yet taken and passed a college math course will take the math placement exam during FOCUS. The exam is administered online. You may bring a calculator. Practice exam questions are found on the ACT Compass website.
Writing Placement- For International Students Attending August and January FOCUS
All International Students will complete Writing Placement during International Student Orientation in August and during FOCUS in January. Writing Placement determines at what level international students begin instruction in various writing and/or English courses. Domestic students do not complete Writing Placement.