Your score on placement exams determines at what level you begin instruction in that subject at Valpo.
There are three placement exams for first-year and transfer students who attend June FOCUS:
1. Foreign Language Placement :
a. French, German, or Spanish placement should be completed online prior to attending FOCUS
b. Latin, Chinese, and Japanese placement is taken on campus during FOCUS
2. Math Placement – Completed on campus during FOCUS
3. Chemistry Placement – To be announced
Foreign Language Placement
Who must take a foreign language at Valpo?
- Bachelor of Arts in all majors in the College of Arts and Sciences
- All students in the College of Business
- Bachelor of Science in Social Work
- Valparaiso University International Engineering Programs (VIEP)
Students who have not yet taken and passed a college math course will take the math placement exam during FOCUS. The exam is administered online. You may bring a calculator. Practice exam questions are found on the ACT Compass website.
Students intending to study the following, and have not already taken and passed a college chemistry course, will take Chemistry Placement:
- Environmental Science
- Exercise Science
- Pre-Medical Arts (Pre-Medicine, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Veterinarian, Pre-Optometry, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Pharmacy, etc.)
* More information will be available in March regarding Chemistry Placement. This may be required to be taken online prior to attending FOCUS. Otherwise, it will be offered on campus during FOCUS.