A Timeline for Your College Search
Fun is a big part of college life. Practice by participating in extracurricular activities. Involvement in clubs, groups, and activities outside of the classroom is a fun way to gain leadership skills. Quality experiences beat quantity, though, be sure to allow time for studying and hanging out with friends.
- Prepare for the application process by confirming key deadlines and essay requirements and identifying teachers and employers to provide recommendations.
- Contact the colleges on your list and request application information and early financial assistance forms.
- Visit the top schools on your list. Sign up for an overnight visit at valpo.edu/visit to get to know a current Valpo student and spend the night on campus. Two-thirds of Valpo students live on campus, so you’ll want to spend time getting to know the community and deciding if this is the right place for you.
- Meet with a professor and/or sit in on a class. Valpo professors love to teach and will encourage you to be your best while helping you make connections between lessons learned in the classroom and applications in your future career.
- Apply to Valparaiso University and other colleges with early admission or scholarship application deadlines. You can apply to Valpo online for free at valpo.edu/admission/apply — Dec. 1 is our priority date for some of our most rewarding scholarships.
- Take the ACT and SAT.
- Visit with college representatives at college fairs and at your high school.
- Find out about scholarships and other opportunities for financial assistance. Visit valpo.edu/financialaid to learn about Valpo’s process and stay in contact with your admission counselor for information.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) — the deadline for Indiana residents is March 1. Include the school code (Valpo’s is 001842) for all colleges you’ve applied to.
- Submit the appropriate financial aid materials. Check valpo.edu/financialaid for Valpo forms and deadlines.
- Take any Advanced Placement exams.
- Send your enrollment deposit and final high school transcript to the college you’ve decided to attend. Notify other schools of your final decision. The national reply date is May 1.
- Sign up for summer orientation at the school of your choice. Registration for Valpo’s new-student orientation program, called FOCUS, opens early March.
- Receive information from your college about housing, roommates, advising, insurance and health plans, meal plans, and more.