- 28 cr. in biology is required for the minimum Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree
- 25 cr. in biology for a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree, provided that a second major is taken in another science
- 32 cr. in biology for a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. Either a second major or science minor, education minor, or Liberal Arts Business minor required to complete the degree
- 40 cr. in biology for a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree with Biology as the only program.
The Biology Major
Click here for a simplified overview of the biology major.
Both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees are offered, with the following options: Courses must include BIO 171, 172, 270, typically one to two of courses of BIO 290-370, two of BIO 420 to 460, and two credit hours in BIO 493 (Seminar) and/or 495 (Research). The number of credit hours attempted at the intermediate and upper level will vary somewhat, depending on which major a student attempts.
Premedical students may wish to take either a 32 cr. hour major, or double major in biology and chemistry.
For students interested in teaching high school biology, a second major in education is required. For a sample four-year plan of this Biology/Secondary Education program, please click here.
See the 2011-2012 VU General Catalog for details on degree requirement in the College of Arts and Sciences. In addition, students are encouraged to carry out an independent research project during the junior or senior year.
The Biology Minor
A minimum of 16 credit hours constitutes a minor. Two options are offered:
- General Biology Minor. Courses must include BIO 171, 172, 270 and four additional credit hours from BIO 290 to 493.
- Human Biology Minor. Courses must include BIO 151, 152 and eight additional credit hours from BIO 210 to 493.
Biology Department Course Listings (click this underlined link for detailed course information from the 2011-2012 General Catalog, then scoll down to pages 73-76)
- BIO 125. Biotechnology; Cr.4
- BIO 152/152. Human Biology I & II; Cr.4
- BIO 171. Unity of Life; Cr.4
- BIO 172. Diversity of Life; Cr.4
- BIO 205. Fundamental Nutrition; Cr.3
- BIO 210. Microbiology; Cr.4
- BIO 260. Human Nutrition; Cr.3
- BIO 250. Human Environmental Biology; Cr.3
- BIO 270. Genetics; Cr.4
- BIO 290. Biological Topics; Cr.2-4 Currently, Macroevolution; Cr.3
- BIO 320. Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy; Cr.3
- BIO 330. Mammalian Cell Culture; Cr.3
- BIO 340. Human Molecular Genetics; Cr.3
- BIO 350. Field Biology-Spring; Cr.3
- BIO 360. Modern Microscopy; Cr. 3
- BIO 380. Principles of Physiology; Cr.3
- BIO 420. Developmental Biology; Cr.4
- BIO 430. Plant Biology; Cr.4
- BIO 440. Ecology; Cr.4
- BIO 450. Molecular Biology; Cr.4
- BIO 460. Cell Biology; Cr.4
- BIO 486. Internship in Biological Science; Cr.0.5-2
- BIO 489. The Teaching of Natural Sciences; Cr.3
- BIO 490. Biological Topics. Cr.4
- BIO 493. Seminar in Biology; Cr.1
- BIO 494. Premedical Arts Colloquium; Cr.0
- BIO 495. Research in Biology; Cr.1-2
- BIO 497. Honors Work in Biology; Cr.3
- BIO 498. Honors Candidacy in Biology; Cr.3
- BIO 499. Biology Colloquium; Cr.0-1
- BIO 590, Biological Topics; Cr. 3-4 Currently Physiology and Pathophysiology; Cr. 3