Dr. Michael K. Watters
Associate Professor of Biology
B.A. - Washington University 1986
Ph.D. - University of Washington 1993
Dr. Watters studies the genetics of the filamentous fungus Neurospora crassa. Recent work has been focused on examining the control of branching during growth. Another long-term interest is spontaneous mutation. Previous work has shown that spontaneous mutation in Neurospora varies during different phases in the life cycle. The basis for this variation remains to be determined.
Note: * below indicates Valparaiso University student co-author.
- Michael K. Watters (2013) Control of Branching in Neurospora crassa. , pp. 23 – 44., In Neurospora Genomics and Molecular Biology, Durgadas P. Kasbekar & Kevin McCluskey eds. (Norfolk, U.K., Caister Academic Press), (2013).
- Meritxell Riquelme, Oded Yarden, Salomon Bartnicki-Garcia, Barry Bowman, Castro-Longoria Ernestina, Stephen J Free, Andre Fleißner, Michael Freitag, Roger R Lew, Rosa Mouriño-Pérez, Michael Plamann, Carolyn Rasmussen, Corinna Richthammer; Robert W Roberson, Eddy Sánchez-León, Stephan Seiler, Michael K Watters. “Architecture and development of the Neurospora crassa hypha - a model cell for polarized Growth”, Fungal Biology. 115: 446-474, (2011).
- Michael K. Watters, Michael Boersma*, Melodie Johnson*, Ciara Reyes*, Evan Westrick* & Erik Lindamood*. "A screen for Neurospora knockout mutants displaying growth rate dependent branch density", Fungal Biology. 115: 296-301, (2011).
- Watters, Michael K., E.R. Lindamood*, M. Meunich*. and R. Vetor*. "Strain-Dependent Relationship Between Growth Rate and Hyphal Branching in Neurospora crassa", Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. 117(1):1-6, (2008).
- Watters, Michael K. "Control of Branch Initiation in Neurospora" , Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. 115(1): 7-12, (2006).
- Watters, M.K. and and A. J. F. Griffiths. "Tests of a cellular model for constant branch distribution in the filamentous fungus Neurospora crassa", Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 67: 1788-1792, (2001).
- Watters, M.K., A. Virag, J. Haynes and A. J. F. Griffiths. "Branch initiation in Neurospora is influenced by events at the previous branch", Mycological Research. 104: 805-809, (2000).