Do you want the opportunity to talk with current Valpo students? How about the chance to give insider information and teach students how to network and effectively leverage professional relationships? All this is possible if you attend Speed Networking 2013!
Friday, April 12
12:00 to 4:00 pm
Community Room, CCLIR
The Career Center Needs Alumni!!
Alumni Volunteer Information
Volunteers are needed to serve as the Speed Networking contacts. Even though you will be modeling effective networking techniques for participants, we hope you will also find the experience useful for your own professional development.
The 3rd Annual Valpo Speed Networking event is a social networking opportunity that brings together Valpo students and alumni professionals. If you are not familiar with Speed Networking, it is a tool now being utilized to help professionals create intentional connections. As a professional, you will have five minutes to network with a number of students over the course of an afternoon. The benefits for you are numerous! Most importantly you have the chance to give back to your alma mater and current students and help them learn the art of making meaningful connections that will help them grow professionally, and that will serve them now and in the future. Finally, you can get a "sneak peek" at future graduates and potential employees. This is all done in a fast paced and exciting environment!
As you know, most opportunities for employment are never posted and you will need networking skills to find out about job opportunities in the future. So, please come and enjoy this opportunity to meet students, network with other alumni and help students gain information and advice on how best to position themselves after graduation. Below you will find information about who to contact if you would like to participate in this event:
Holly L. Simpson, LMHC, LPC, NBCC
Valparaiso University Career Center
1509 Chapel Drive, Valparaiso, IN 46383
Read what the alumni and professionals said about last year's event!
Wondering how it works?
Networking software will match you with students based on mutual interests and career paths. Opportunities for professional participants include:
- Immediately compare potential job candidates
- Build connections with students with almost no pressure or stress for either party
- Network with a pool of fresh, new talent
- Help students learn how to start building or build upon professional networks
- Provide expert industry knowledge to future graduates
- Help students practice and perfect their "elevator pitches"
- See a large volume of potential candidates in a short period of time, allowing you to recruit quietly and watch for potential matches for your organization
Professionals who attended last year's event
- Karen Carlson - Prudential
- Ana Fletcher - Freelance Writer
- Tracy Fronk - (Alumna) Director of Strategic Initiative at Valpo Law. She is also an engineer who worked as the test engineer -for F22 Raptor at Honeywell and worked on Hydraulic Boosters at Bosch
- Tim Helm - DMI Medical
- Simon Kissler - (Alumnus) Architecture Innovation at Accenture
- Kathy Marlowe - (Alumna) Director of Student Athlete Services Valparaiso University
- Tom Marlowe - (Alumnus) Senior Engineer and Consultant Superior Engineering
- Stan Pissarski - General Manager of Operations Central States Manufacturing
- P. Joanne Ray - (Alumna) Executive Director SmithBucklin/AACVPR
- Pam Saylor - (Alumna) Manager of Supported Living at Opportunity Enterprises
- Tara Teeple - (Alumna) Director of Data and Technology Services Valparaiso University previously a software engineer at Motorola
- Tracy Traut - Executive Director at Porter County Family Counseling Center, Member at Warner Bertram, LLC
- Christina Scala - (Alumna) Sales Coordinator at Bosch Software Innovations
- Jill Schlueter-Kim (Alumna) Executive Director Girls on the Run of Northwest Indiana
- Bryan Van Den Bosch - (Alumna) Account Executive for Chicago Sky WNBA team
- Melissa Washburn - Artist and graphic designer with a BFA in studio art from Binghamton University (SUNY) and a Master's Degree in Arts Administration from IU Bloomington
- Helen Strietelmeier - Elements Acupuncture, Ltd.
- Tracey McElree - Director, Branding & Marketing
- Ryan Dykes - Vice President, AC, Inc.
- Elizabeth Lucas - (Alumna) Director of Visitor Services and Membership at Adler Planetarium
- Michael Suarez - (Alumnus) Employee Events and News Coordinator, Four Winds Casino Resort
- Marisa Valdez - (Alumna) USS
- Cassandra Gordon(Alumna)
- Kurt Stephans -(Alumnus) Engineering Manager at Motorola
Speed Networking Prep Session 2013!