Do you want the opportunity to talk with current Valpo students? How about the chance to give insider information and teach students how to network and effectively leverage professional relationships? All this is possible if you attend Speed Networking 2013!
Friday, April 12
12:00 to 4:00 pm
Community Room, CCLIR
The Career Center Needs Volunteers!!
Volunteers are needed to serve as the Speed Networking contacts. Even though you will be modeling effective networking techniques for participants, we hope you will also find the experience useful for your own professional development.
The 3rd Annual Valpo Speed Networking event is a social networking opportunity that brings together Valpo students and professionals. If you are not familiar with Speed Networking, it is a tool now being utilized to help professionals create intentional connections. As a professional, you will have five minutes to network with a number of students over the course of an afternoon. The benefits for you are numerous! Most importantly you have the chance help students learn the art of making meaningful connections that will help them grow professionally, and that will serve them now and in the future. Finally, you can get a "sneak peek" at future graduates and potential employees. This is all done in a fast paced and exciting environment!
As you know, most opportunities for employment are never posted and you will need networking skills to find out about job opportunities in the future. So, please come and enjoy this opportunity to meet students, network with other professionals and help students gain information and advice on how best to position themselves after graduation. Below you will find information about who to contact if you would like to participate in this event:
Holly L. Simpson, LMHC, LPC, NBCC
Valparaiso University Career Center
1509 Chapel Drive, Valparaiso, IN 46383
Wondering how it works?
Networking software will match you with students based on mutual interests and career paths. Opportunities for professional participants include:
- Immediately compare potential job candidates
- Build connections with students with almost no pressure or stress for either party
- Network with a pool of fresh, new talent
- Help students learn how to start building or build upon professional networks
- Provide expert industry knowledge to future graduates
- Help students practice and perfect their "elevator pitches"
- See a large volume of potential candidates in a short period of time, allowing you to recruit quietly and watch for potential matches for your organization
Employers who will attend this year's event:
- Tracy Fronk - (Alumna) Director of Strategic Initiative at Valpo Law. She is also an engineer who worked as the test engineer -for F22 Raptor at Honeywell and worked on Hydraulic Boosters at Bosch
- Stan Pissarski - General Manager of Operations Central States Manufacturing
- Pam Saylor - (Alumna) Manager of Supported Living at Opportunity Enterprises
- Tara Teeple - (Alumna) Director of Data and Technology Services Valparaiso University previously a software engineer at Motorola
- Melissa Washburn - Artist and graphic designer with a BFA in studio art from Binghamton University (SUNY) and a Master's Degree in Arts Administration from IU Bloomington
- Tracey McElree - Director, Branding & Marketing, AC Incorporated
- Ryan Dykes - Vice President, AC, Incorporated
- Steve Rahn - (Alumnus) Area Maintenance & Reliability Manager at BP
- Michelle Maravilla HR - OD Business Partner at Centier Bank
- John Messerschmidt (Alumnus) - Financial Associate for Thrivent Financial & worked for 20 years as a consultant with American Airlines, MCI, IBM, and AT&T helping fortune 500 companies improve sales, service and productivity
- Mary Kate Garner - Talent Acquisition Specialist at Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Stefanie Kinney - Human Resources Specialist at DENSO
- Stephanie Truchan (Alumna) - Operations Manager at Gary Bridge & Iron Co
- Andrew Dalpini (Alumnus) - Account Representative/Sales Recruiter at Countrywide Transportation
- Kyle Goltz (Alumnus) - Assistant Manager at Sears Holdings Corporation
- Brandi Anstine (Alumna) - Director of Marketing & Special Events Lakeshore Public Television
- Hugh Brennan (Alumnus) - Recruiter for Verizon Wireless
- Dennis Wendt (Alumnus) - Customer Business Manager @ McCormick & Company
- Jennifer Wright - Executive Director for Hilltop Neighborhood House
- Kelly Warren - District Cordinator at Aflac
- Debra Townsend - AFL/CIO Coordinator for United Way of Porter County
- Andrea Proulx Buinicki - Founder & President of Giving Focus, LLC
- Bruce Lindner (Alumnus) - Executive Director of Porter County Aging Services
- Linda Newman (Alumna) - Representative for Primerica Financial Services
- Jennifer McIntosh-Elkins - Founder & President of Discoveries Unlimited
- Dan Kudrna - Regional Sales Coordinator for Aflac & served as Exchange Officer for the Brazilan Army
- Roger Smith (Alumnus) - Training Director for Gary Police Department
- Martha Walsh (Alumna) - Retail Leadership Development Program @ Verizon Wireless
- Fred Thompson - Tech Recruiter at Panduit Corp
- Ryan Perri (Alumnus) - Promotions Producer at NBC Chicago
- and more!
Click here for an example of what speed networking could be like for you!