Think your resume writing skills are top-notch?
...then enter to win Valpo's first-ever RESUME IDOL competition! In conjunction with the announcement of our new online resume builder, OptimalResume, the Career Center is hosting the competition to raise awareness for the new product, and recognize the top undergraduate resumes on campus (graduate students are not eligible to enter). The top three resumes, as determined by an impartial panel of faculty and staff, will be awarded $100, $50, and $25 Amazon.com gift cards, respectively.
- First, create an account at http://valpo.optimalresume.com, using your Valpo e-mail address.
- Once you're on the site, use the Resume Builder to create your resume; there are plenty of terrific videos and tutorials to help you get started on the site, as well as hundreds of professionally-written samples from various industries to refer to.
- After you've completed your final resume, click on the Review Center link in the Resume Builder, and submit your resume for review.
- The winners will be announced at the "Recruiters Speak: How to Network" session on October 11 (the night before the Fall Career Fair & Expo).
That's it! If you have any questions, please refer to the full contest guidelines below, or contact Matt Wells at firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck!
2012 RESUME IDOL Contest Guidelines
- Any degree-seeking undergraduate student
currently enrolled at Valparaiso University may enter the contest by submitting
a resume to the Career Center staff through the online Optimal Resume Review Center.
- Contest entries (i.e. resume submissions) will
be accepted starting at 8:00 AM on Monday, September 10, 2012.
- Contestants must have an active account on Optimal Resume (found at http://valpo.optimalresume.com),
which is created using their Valpo e-mail address; resume entries must be
created using Optimal Resume, and
submitted through the Optimal Resume
Review Center online by 11:59 PM on Thursday, October 4, 2012.
- Current Career Center Ambassadors are not eligible to enter the contest.
- The first round of judging will consist of Career
Center professional staff narrowing down submissions to the top 10%-15%, using
a standardized scoring rubric.
- A panel of impartial judges will be selected
from faculty and staff from all five undergraduate colleges to judge the final
- Judges will use a scoring rubric provided by the
Career Center to promote objectivity and standardization of scores.
- Judges will complete their evaluations by 12:00
PM on Thursday, October 11, 2012, and the highest average scores will be
determined by Career Center staff by 5:00 PM that afternoon.
- The announcement of the contest’s 1st,
2nd, and 3rd place winners will be made at the end of the
“Recruiters Speak: How to Network” session at 7 PM on October 11, 2012; the
announcement will subsequently be sent out campus-wide via e-mail before 10:00
AM on Friday, October 12, 2012.
- The 1st place winner will receive an Amazon.com gift card in the amount of
$100; the 2nd place winner will received an Amazon.com gift card in the amount of $50; the 3rd place
winner will receive an Amazon.com
gift card in the amount of $25, provided by the Career Center.
- Winners will be notified by e-mail, sent to
their Valpo e-mail addresses.
- Any prizes that go unclaimed within ten (10)
business days after the announcement will be awarded to the next highest