*Check with VU chemistry faculty members if you'd like to get in touch with VU alumni who might be hiring interns and/or permanent employees
Websites that list internships of interest to chemistry majors:
American Chemical Society Internship Resources
This site lists several resources, both in print and online.
Internship Opportunities in Indiana:
This site is continuously changing, so keep checking back for updates.
National Science Foundation’s Research Experience for Undergraduates
Students are granted stipends to work in the research program of a host. This is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Use this link to search by research site or topic. Applications should be done through the individual research site.
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
Click on “undergrads” followed by “list by duration” in order to see a list of summer opportunities.
University of Iowa Biosciences Program
This is the University of Iowa Biosciences Program, which lists more than ten different summer undergraduate opportunities at their Iowa City campus.
Rochester Institute of Technology Co-op and Internship Listing
LOTS of opportunities listed here: searchable (Ctrl-F) lists categorized by area of interest
VU Career Center Listings
Christine Mirzayan Science & Technology Policy Graduate Fellowship Program
While this is a graduate fellowship, undergraduates who have been accepted to graduate school may apply for this fellowship. For eligibility requirements, see :
The listings below are made in the following format:
- The name and location of the company
- A brief description of the internship
- Location of the application
- If available, a contact for further information
- Information on pay
- Length of the internship
Abbott Laboratories Internship Program- Corporate headquarters are located 40 miles north of Chicago, but there are multiple locations worldwide.
- The specifics of the internships vary by year.
- Students who have complete at least one year of college and are enrolled for the following fall are eligible. The minimum GPA is 3.0.
- Submit a resume online to apply at http://www.abbott.com/global/url/content/en_US/50.60.10:10/general_content/General_Content_00166.htm It is recommended that applicants try to meet a representative from the company when they visit campus. Check the website for details.
- Resumes can be submitted between early September and late February.
- Questions can be directed through the website.
- Competitive stipends are available. Housing and travel reimbursement may be available, depending upon the distance from the internship site to the applicant’s permanent address.
- The length of the internship is not specified.
BioChrom Labs, Inc.- Terre Haute, IN
- Part time lab assistant internship dealing with polymer, organic, analytical, and biochemistry.
- Applicants must have knowledge of general and organic chemistry, and have a GPA of at least 3.0/4.0. Any science major is considered, but chemistry majors are preferred.
- Apply at http://www.biochrom1.com/career.html
- For more information, email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The internship pays $8 per hour. For budgetary reasons, only one or two students are accepted per semester for the internship. However, more applicants would be considered on a volunteer basis.
- The internship lasts 10 to 12 weeks.
BP Internships- locations across the US
- Typically, new internships are posted in late August, and are removed from the site as they are filled. There are a number of opportunities, and eligibility requirements, length of internship, and pay depend upon the one selected. For more specific information, go to www.bpfutures.com/us/, click on Students and Graduates, and then search under the category of Intern.
U.S. Department of Energy’s Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships Program (SULI) and the Student Research Participation Program- Argonne National Laboratories in Argonne, IL. SULI is available at many different Department of Energy Labs.
- These programs are research-based, and require attendance at scheduled events, lectures, tours, and group events. Participants should expect hours to exceed 40 per week.
- An applicant must have a GPA of 2.5 or greater on a 4.0 scale. U.S. citizenship or permanent resident alien status is required. Sophomores, juniors and seniors who are currently enrolled in a U.S. college or university and are majoring in science, math, engineering, or technology are eligible. At least one college semester must be completed, and graduating seniors may apply under certain restrictions. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, and must have health insurance. A maximum of 2 SULI programs may be participated in per applicant.
- Applications may be found at http://www.dep.anl.gov/ for either the SULI or the Argonne Programs. It is preferred that the application is filled out online, but it can also be downloaded, or information may be requested from: DOE Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships Program, Division of Educational Programs, Argonne National Laboratories, Argonne, IL 60439-4845.
- For more information, visit http://www.dep.anl.gov/ or email Lreed@dep.anl.gov
- These internships are paid $400 per week. Housing or a housing allowance will be provided, and transportation may be reimbursed.
- These internships last from 10 to 16 weeks, depending upon the season.
Dover Chemical Hammond Works- Hammond, IN
- Quality Control intern. Duties will include analyzing finished products to determine quality. Training is provided. This internship is part time, and will be done in shifts.
- Undergraduate junior and senior chemistry majors are eligible.
- The application is currently available at http://www.indianaintern.net/
DuPont Internships and Co-ops- opportunities across the U.S.
- At the Troy, MI center, performance coatings for the auto industry are researched and developed.
- Full-time students able to work in the U.S. without restriction and who have a GPA of 3.0 or above are eligible. For the Troy, MI program, applicants need to have completed organic chemistry and be a chemistry or chemical engineering major.
- Applications can be filled out online at http://www.dupont.com/dupontglobal/corp/careers/univ_internships.html
- Questions can be directed to email@example.com or Walter Zahn at Walter.G.Zahn@usa.dupont.com or 248-583-8391.
- There is a salary and relocation assistance provided.
Eli Lilly Summer Internship Program- Indianapolis, IN
- These internships are available in a variety of fields, including Biology, Chemistry, and Pharmacy.
- Any student enrolled in a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. program with a strong academic performance is eligible.
- Lilly recommends interviewing for the internship when the company visits campus, but applications may be turned in online at http://www.lilly.com/careers/students/internships/
- A salary is provided, as is a housing subsidy, relocation assistance, and a shuttle service.
- The internship is 12 weeks long.
EPA’s National Network for Environmental Management Studies Fellowship Program (NNEMS)-locations in Washington, D.C, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Kansas City, Denver, San Francisco, Seattle, Cincinnati, Research Triangle Park-North Carolina.
- These internships can be in a number of categories, including Environmental Policy, Regulation, and Law, Environmental Management and Administration, Environmental Science, Public Relations and Communications, Computer Programming and Development.
- Applicants must be citizens of the U.S. or permanent residents and enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing an educational program related to pollution control or environmental protection. Applicants must also have a GPA of at least 3.0/4.0, and completed at least 4 courses in the field of environmental studies.
- The application is available at http://www.epa.gov/enviroed/students.html
- The deadline is in January.
- For more information, contact Sheri Jojokian at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stipends may be provided, but they depend on the level of education achieved by the applicant.
- These internships are designed for the summer.
EPA’s Student Summer Employment Opportunities- locations the same as those above
Georgia Tech/Emory Center’s Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)- Atlanta, Georgia
- According to the website, this internship is highly research based, and applicants will be expected to attend seminars and present an oral and written report upon its completion.
- This program allows students to integrate engineering and molecular and cell biology.
- Applicants may be juniors or seniors as of May, and sophomores are considered to a lesser degree. Appropriate majors include engineering or the sciences, and an interest in bioengineering and biosciences is a plus. This internship requires a GPA of greater than 3.0/4.0, and applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. Selection depends upon research interest, academic record, and recommendation letters.
- The application is available online at http://www.chemistry.gatech.edu/undergraduate/summer/index.php
- Applications are due early February.
- For more information, contact Shawna Young Garcia at 404-385-2262 or email@example.com
- This internship provides a $3500 stipend and paid on-campus housing.
- This internship lasts for 10 weeks, from late May to late July.
Honeywell Undergraduate Opportunities and Internships- located throughout the U.S.
- A variety of internships are available, with online descriptions.
- Undergraduate and Graduate student opportunities are available.
- The application is available online: http://www.honeywell.com/careers/students.html
- This position is salaried, with travel expenses and corporate housing or a stipend provided.
- Summer internships typically last 12 weeks.
Kimberly-Clark Internships- available at multiple locations
- Variety of internships available, but chemistry majors will most likely be placed in research and development.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Applicants can submit a resume online at http://www.kimberly-clark.com/careers/na/coop_interns.aspx
- The internships are usually filled by Christmas, so applications must be turned in during the fall in order to be competitive.
- For more information, contact Maureen Lechner at firstname.lastname@example.org
- These internships are salaried and are dependent upon experience. A site visit prior to the start date is offered, and housing information will be provided.
- These are summer internships.
Lunar and Planetary Institute’s Summer Intern Program- Houston, TX
- These internships are research-based. The topics are listed on the website.
- Undergraduates and graduating seniors may apply. A minimum of 50 credit hours and an interest in a career in science are required. Selection is based on scholarship, curriculum, experience, career objectives, scientific interest, and a match of the applicant’s interest with the available research projects.
- The application is online at http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpiintern/
- The deadline is in mid-January, and those chosen will be notified by mid-February. Positions must be accepted within two days of notification.
- For more information, contact Ms. Jodi Jordan at email@example.com
- These internships are paid $500 per week, and a travel stipend may be available. Housing is not included, but may be arranged.
- These are 10-week internships.
Monsanto- locations across North America, headquarters in St. Louis, MO
- This internship is typically 40 hours per week in one of the following departments: Engineering, Operations, Research and Development, Finance/Accounting, Sales, Animal Ag, Manufacturing/Seed Operations, and Technology.
- Any current full-time student is eligible, but in most cases, applicants should have completed at least one year of coursework. Accepted majors are accounting, finance, human resources, law, information systems, agronomy, animal science, agricultural business, plant breeding, plant physiology, genetic engineering, chemical engineering, biological sciences, botany, and chemistry.
- Apply online at http://www.monsantoag.com/careers/getting_started/students.asp
- The positions are usually filled by mid-February.
- These internships are 10-12 weeks long.
Motorola Summer Internships- located in various cities.
NASA Undergraduate Student Research Program (USRP)- Locations for this program are across the U.S., including sites in California, Ohio, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia, New Mexico, Maryland, and Texas.
- These internships are research-based, are vary widely in content. A final paper will cover the experience, and students may be required to discuss their research in colloquia, workshops, or technology demonstrations.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, a full-time student, and a rising junior or senior at the end of the Spring semester. Accepted majors include engineering, math, computer science, and physical/life sciences. Applicants must also demonstrate a strong interest in the career field indicated by their major. The minimum GPA is 3.0/4.0.
- The application is online at http://www.vsgc.odu.edu/sf/undergrad/index.shtml
- Applications are due in January, and selection and notification will be complete in April.
- This internship provides a $5000 stipend and the cost of one round trip of transportation will be provided. At some locations (though not all), a housing allowance will be paid.
- These internships are 10 consecutive weeks from late May to mid-August, and require 40 hours per week.
- For information on other NASA programs for students, visit http://www.vsgc.odu.edu/ and look under “Miscellaneous- Other Student Programs at NASA and Beyond.”
NASA Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP)- Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX.
NSF REU Programs
- NSF funds a large number of research opportunities for undergraduate students through its REU Sites program. An REU Site consists of a group of ten or so undergraduates who work in the research programs of the host institution. Each student is associated with a specific research project, where he/she works closely with the faculty and other researchers. Students are granted stipends and, in many cases, assistance with housing and travel. Undergraduate students supported with NSF funds must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its possessions. An REU Site may be at either a US or foreign location. - NSF website
- Search the available REU sites in various disciplines here.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) Fellowships-Richland, WA, with offices across the country
- These are research fellowships.
- They are open to undergraduate students and recent graduates, as long as the appointment takes place within 6 months of graduation. Minimum GPA is 2.5, and the minimum age is 18.
- The application is online at PNNL
- Applications are due end of January.
- There are stipends available, depending upon the level of education and major. A travel allowance may be available. On-site dorm and other rooming information is available.
- Typically, these last 10 weeks, but can vary depending upon the applicant’s availability.
PNNL National Security Internship Program- Richland, WA, with offices across the country
- There are up to ten of these positions available, and they are renewable.
- Applicants must be undergraduates with a minimum GPA of 3.0, but 3.4 or above is preferred. Appropriate courses of study include nuclear science, electrical engineering, computer science, physics, or chemistry.
- Apply online at PNNL
- Applications are due by April.
- There is a stipend available.
- These internships are 8-12 weeks long.
Pfizer Summer Internship Program and Co-ops- locations vary
- These programs are available in multiple areas, including Discovery Research, Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Pharmacokinetics, Dynamics, and Metabolism.
- These are open to full-time undergraduate or graduate students who are in a related degree program, such as science, business, or computer science. A GPA of 3.0 or above is required, as is the successful completion of a drug test and background investigation. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Check each Fall for opportunities that will be available the following summer at http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/are/careers/mn_campus_internships.jsp
- Resumes can be sent to Rowe.Resumes@pfizer.com
- These internships are 40 hours per week for 12 weeks.
Praxair Co-op and Internship Opportunities-locations vary
- Applicants should have a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Team and leadership skills are useful, as are good communication skills.
- Information about new positions will be posted at http://www.praxair.com/ under Careers and then under College Recruitment.
Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals’ Internships and Co-ops- Norwich, NY (Pharmaceutical Development Center) and Cincinnati, OH, among other North American locations
- These internships are typically researching a defined technique or topic
- Chemistry majors who have completed at least their junior year are eligible
- Applications are available at http://www.pg.com/
- Deadlines vary depending upon the internship.
- There are stipends available depending upon the extent of education
- Internships are typically 10-12 weeks in length
- Co-ops are also available. Go to http://www.pg.com/jobs/jobs_us/recruitblue/internships.jhtml for specific information.
Salk Institute for Biological Studies- San Diego, CA
- The website does not specifically list job openings as internships, but there are some under the Staff category that are listed as temporary or summer only. The ones that could be possibilities include lab assistant and laboratory animal technician. The application is online. For more information, visit http://www.salk.edu/careers/staff_positions.html.
University of Minnesota Department of Chemistry Summer Undergraduate Research Program- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- These internships involve chemistry research.
- Current sophomores and juniors in chemistry or related undergraduate programs may apply.
- The application and related information is online at www.chem.umn.edu/lando.
- The applications are available online beginning in mid-December, and are due by mid-February.
- For more information, contact Marc Hillmyer or Vinothini Ambrose at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-777-2431.
- This internship program provides a $4500 stipend. On-campus housing is available, as are on-campus meal plans, but these are not paid for by the program. Students may be eligible for travel assistance if they do not live in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. It is possible that participants may receive funding to attend national meetings the year following the internship in order to present their research.
- This internship is 10 weeks long, running from June to mid-August.
University of Notre Dame - South Bend, Indiana
Additions and corrections for this page may be directed to Kevin.Jantzi@valpo.edu
- Anyone interested in chemical research at Notre Dame can contact DeeAnne.M.Goodenough.email@example.com (VU alum), and she will forward your message to the research faculty.