The Master of Arts in Chinese Studies (MACS) program offers a number of types of financial assistance in addition to federal loans for qualified applicants:
* MACS/Starr Scholarship. Such scholarships carry a maximum of $6,000/year and are offered to incoming, full-time students only.
* Summer Tuition discount. Accepted MACS students participating in the annual summer advanced Chinese program in Hangzhou China are eligible for a summer tuition discount of up to 30% of regular summer tuition for up to 8 graduate credits.
* International travel. Accepted MACS students participating in the annual summer advanced Chinese program in Hangzhou, China are eligible for international travel assistance for up to $1,250 for the round-trip between China and the US.
* Teaching assistantships. Several teaching assistantships are available for qualified MACS students with the primary responsibility of tutoring undergraduate students taking lower lever Chinese language classes at VU or teaching Chinese classes in one of the outreach programs VU has established with area K-12 schools.
* Office managers. Two positions are available through the Chinese and Japanese Studies Program. Office manager are paid based on hourly wages. The normal work load is about 15-20 hours per week.
2. Tuition and Fees for the 2008-2009 Academic Year:
* Graduate Tuition: $480 per credit hour
* Parking: $100 per year (fall and spring semesters)
* General Fees for All Students: $80.00 per semester
* Application Fee to MACS program: $30.00 (If a professor refers an applying student to our program, and the professor notifies our office, the student's $30 application fee will be waived.)
* Application fee for international students: $50.00
To be eligible for the awards listed above, you will need to:
* File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for some of the financial aid such as the MACS/Starr scholarship, and
* Be formally enrolled at least half time in the MACS program.
4. How to Apply?
Download the application form and submit it to the Office of Graduate Studies via e-mail (email@example.com) or via mail (Office of Graduate Studies, Kretzmann Hall, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN 46383) immediately.