Overseas Study

Hangzhou Study Program

Previous study of Chinese language is not required, and almost all Valpo students can study abroad in Hangzhou without delaying graduation IF they plan carefully with their academic advisor. You must be a sophomore, junior or senior in good standing. As many as 15 students from Valparaiso University, from other schools in the Lutheran Colleges' China Consortium, or from other universities-at-large may study in Hangzhou for the fall semester.

Study Programs in Japan

Study Programs in either Kansai Gaidai University or at Osaka International University are available to sophomores, juniors, or seniors in good standing.  A semester or full year at Kansai Gaidai University, located in the culturally rich area between Osaka and Kyoto offers Japanese language instruction and a number of Asian Studies courses taught in English, including topics in business, art, economics, and history, among others.  The program at Osaka International University (OIU) also offers language study, but has the added feature of a 1-month internship with a Japanese company or organization.


Research Seminar in China and Japan

Every year Valpo students take trips with a faculty member to China or Japan during spring break to conduct research on various aspects of Asian life. Typically trips go to China every two years and Japan every third year. Due to the scholarly nature of these classes, interested students must first submit an application.

Student Internships

Under a generous grant from the Freeman Foundation, Valparaiso University China Center Offers up to 10 internship grants annually to VU undergraduate students to conduct internship primarily but not exclusively in the Hangzhou area of China. The goal of these grants is to allow students with strong commitment and practical plans use the facilities Valpo has established in China to complete a productive internship as part of the requirements of their majors or the efforts to enrich the experiential training of their study at Valpo.