Founded in 1909 as Theta Sigma Phi at the University of Washington, the organization has evolved from a collegiate honorary women’s journalism fraternity to a strong national network of communicators in a broad range of disciplines.
AWC is committed to work nationally and internationally for pay equity for women in the communications workplace and for freedom of information.
The Association for Women in Communication is a professional organization that champions the advancement of women across all communications disciplines by recognizing excellence promoting leadership and positioning its members at the forefront of the evolving communications era.
- To promote the advancement of women in all fields of communications
- To recognize distinguished professional achievements
- To promote high professional standards throughout the communications field
THE MATRIX FOUNDATION
The Matrix Foundation, AWC’s charitable foundation, provides scholarships and supports educational research and publications. AWC’s 100-plus student and professional chapters offer educational programming for their members. The Annual Professional Conference provides a forum for learning opportunities and interaction with communications leaders.
- Guest Speakers- We put on an event called Fireside Chats at least twice a semester. It gives members a chance to meet communication professionals
- Social Outings- way to get to know other members better
- Professional Development Educational Sessions