The name of this organization shall be the Women’s Conference
The purpose of this organization is to facilitate dialogue around
gender and women’s issues by creating a positive women’s
environment where people of any gender may feel safe to communicate
and explore these issues. This will be accomplished through
various events, including but not limited to conferences, panels,
workshops, and an annual production of “The Vagina Monologues.”
In addition, the committee will network where possible with
other student organizations such as the Gender Studies Program,
SAAFE, and Take Back the Night.
The organization as deemed necessary during the regular academic
All VU students are eligible for voting membership in this organization.
Also, the organization may seek the advice and/or assistance
of faculty and community members. These members will have all
the rights and responsibilities of full membership except for
For a conference, the organization will be divided into the
following sub-committees with a committee chair for each said
5. Community Outreach
Additionally, ad-hoc sub-committee(s) may be added when deemed
necessary by the organization and when a majority of members
in attendance consent to said sub-committee(s).
Duties of the above sub-committees will be outlined in the by-laws
of this Constitution.
Chairs of the above-mentioned sub-committees will be chosen
by consent of the majority of the organization’s members.
They will serve for a term of one academic year, but may serve
an unlimited number of terms.
For other events, coordinators will be chosen as necessary (or
accepted as volunteers). It will their responsibility to create
sub-committees or to delegate tasks.
may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of all members
in attendance at a regularly scheduled meeting.
A faculty/staff person will serve as an advisor to the organization.
The advisor will be chosen by consent of the majority of the
organization’s members in attendance. S/he will serve
for a term of one academic years, but may serve an unlimited
number of terms.
This constitution is flexible and may be amended to better meet
the needs of campus. The advisor and any member(s) who has/have
held a Coordinator/Chair position are empowered to make such
changes. These will be finally amended by a 2/3 vote of members
present at the next scheduled meeting.
BY-LAWS: For Conferences
1. Committees: There shall be eight (8) standing sub-committees,
whose duties shall be defined below. The duties of each committee
are the responsibility of all sub-committee members. Each chair
shall oversee and organize said duties of that committee.
1. solicit workshop applications from campus and community members
2. contact selected presenters
3. make special arrangements for presenters, including, but
not limited to, A/V equipment and presentation room size/environment
4. assign rooms to workshops
5. reserve/set-up rooms
6. clean up rooms after conference
1. locate graphic designer to create brochure
2. organized printing of brochures, signs, and flyers
3. hand campus signs and flyers
4. write and distribute press releases for local news
5. solicit articles in local newspapers
6. design, order, and sell t-shirts
7. hang campus signs on the day of the conference
C. Registration Sub-Committee
1. organize student/community registration process
2. communicate with registrants
3. track money (with assistance of Finance Sub-Committee)
4. confirm all off-campus registrants and distribute maps to
5. prepare attendee name tags
6. compile information folders
7. staff registration tables at conference
1. seek donations
2. make arrangements for tables, chairs, etc.
3. take care of food delivery and set-up
4. clean up
1. foundries from campus and non-campus sources
2. track and dispense funds
1. solicit participants for Activities Fair
2. arrange day-care
3. organize Women’s History College Bowl
4. arrange Friday or Saturday evening program
5. organize Book Fair
1. research possible student speakers
2. research possible keynote speakers
3. organize morning and lunchtime welcomes
4. create evaluations
Community Outreach Sub-Committee
1. aid Publicity Sub-Committee with publicity in NW Indiana
2. aid Finance Sub-Committee in community fundraising efforts
3. attend to any special needs of community attendees
Amendment of By-laws: The by-laws may be amended in the same
way as the constitution at a regularly scheduled meeting.
Last review: Spring 2002
The content, views, opinions and positions expressed on these
student organization pages are strictly and exclusively those
of the student organization, and not of Valparaiso University.
Comments and reactions to these pages should be directed to
the Committee. © Created 06/2004 Last
site update: 11/21/2006