Employment Opportunities with Dining Services

Dining Services operates Founder's Cafeteria, Campus Cafe in the Harre Union,  and Grinder's at CCLIR.

Dining Services Calendar

The Union operates seven days per week during the school year, serving cafeteria meals in Founder’s, deli and snacks in the Campus Cafe and catered meals in this building and at other locations on campus.

Employees in those units are also scheduled to work at some catered events throughout the year. Schedules are posted each Wednesday for the following week and include some evening and weekend shifts.

During the summer, employees have choices for employment. Dining Services operates the kitchen – to serve summer conference groups. Employees may be assigned to work in the kitchen or they may request an assignment with Physical Plant Services (painting or grounds maintenance) or they may request a leave of absence for most of the summer.

During the Christmas recess and spring break, work is sometimes available with Dining Services. Vacation can also be taken when Dining Services is not in operation.

Job Classifications

Full Time
Scheduled up to 40 hours per week – averaging approximately 36 hours.
Leave time benefits paid (vacation, sick time, personal time, holiday pay)
Medical insurance available on a co-pay basis

Part Time
Scheduled up to 29 hours per week – averaging approximately 26 hours.
Pro-rated leave time benefits paid (vacation, sick time, personal time, holiday pay)

Part Time Substitute
Scheduled Less than 20 hours per weeks (no other benefits available)


Flexible Schedule
At Valpo, part-time employees are scheduled less than 30 hours per week (usually 28 or 29 hours) during the school year. Full time employees may take part in the university hospitalization program. All employees qualify for prorated vacation, sick days and personal days, based on hours worked.

Tuition Remission
The university offers tuition remission for qualified employees, dependants and spouses. It is important to discuss specific details of this benefit with the Human Resource staff to gain a full understanding of the program.

Applications, Openings, and Questions

To find out more about current job openings, learn how you can apply, or if you have any other questions regarding jobs with Dining Services, please feel free to call us at 219-464-5016.


  Before you can begin working you must complete the required tax paper work.  Students may do this in the meal plan office in the Student Union  (Monday – Friday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM).  Non-students should do so during normal business hours at Human Resources in Kretzman Hall.

International Students must go to the International office.






Proper identification as listed on the attached “List of Acceptable Identification Documents” must be provided.  Please note that you need either a document from “list A” OR one document from “list B” plus one document from “list C”.

NOTE:  Social security cards & birth certificates cannot be copies or faxes.




For direct deposit you must provide banking information.  You may bring a check OR an official document from your bank that states your name, account # and the bank routing number.  NOTE: A deposit slip is not acceptable.