Students with disabilities are required to go through the admissions process the same as any other studentapplying at VU; they cannot request special treatment based on having a disability. Once admitted to VU, they can contact the DSS office to discuss accommodations.
Students are required to self-identify their disability and need for accommodations by making contact with the DSS office; DSS personnel will not seek out students with disabilities. Students may self-identify at any point during the semester.
The DSS director is responsible for determining student eligibility for academic adjustments and services. Eligibility decisions are made on a case-by-case basis and take into consideration disability documentation, student self-report, and history of academic adjustments and services. The DSS Director will evaluate and determine eligibility in a timely manner.
• Director of DSS meets with student to discuss disability and functional limitations, and accommodations being requested
• Accommodations letter is drafted to be sent to professors
• Forms are completed by student
• Student completes form with contact information
• Student writes a letter in which he/she formally requests DSS services
• Student signs form giving permission to communicate with VU personnel about accommodations