Sherry DeMik, Dr.
Assisstant Professor, Director of Disability Support Services
147 Meier Hall
BiographyI have 14 years experience teaching special education in elementary, middle, and secondary schools in three different states. I began working in the Education Department at Valparaiso University in the Fall 2005. I enjoy singing, traveling, listening to the ocean surf, and watching Cubs games.
Ph.D. - Purdue University, Lafayette, IN 2006
M.Ed. - Valparaiso University 1998
B.S. - Indiana State University 1979
Indiana Teacher's License:
- General Elementary, Rules 46-47, K-6,7/8 Non-Deparmentalized
- Learning Disabled, K-12
- Mentally Retarded, K-12
Areas of Specialization
- Special Education (Mild Disabilities
- Elementary Education
- Curriculum Studies
- Classroom Accommodation for Students with Disabilities
- Mentoring of At-Risk students
SPED 440/540 - Learning Exceptionalities
SPSY 540 - Learning Exceptionalities
SPED 347/547 - Characteristics of Individuals with Mild Disabilities
SPED 441/541 - Assistive Technology
SPED 444/544 - Assessment is Special Education
Attrition of Special Education Teachers
Factors causing special education teachers to leave the job within 5 years.
Response to Intervention (RTI)
Attitudes of Pre-service general educators and special educators before and after inservice about RTI
Transition of Students with Disabilities from High School to College
Effective preparation of high school students with disabilities for transitioning successfully to college.
Inclusion of Students with Reading Disabilities through Readers Theatre
Examining the effect of Readers' Theatre on the level of interest in reading for students with reading disabilities.
Effect of Mentoring on Drop-out Rate
Examining the data on drop out rates of students who participated int he "College Mentors for Kids" program.
- "Experiencing Attrition of Special Education Teacher Through Narrative Inquiry", The High School Journal (Volume 92, #1), October 2008
- "Music to My Heart", Kappa Delta Pi Record (Volume 45, #2), Winter 2009 Issue
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
International Organization promoting the rights of individuals with disabilities.
- CEC-TED (Teacher Education Division)
Subgroup of CEC focusing on Teacher Education Program for Special Education in Colleges
- Kappa Delta Pi
Honorary Organization for Education