First Aid/CPR and AED Training Providers

Applicants applying for an initial teaching or renewal of a teaching license must have successfully completed training in:

  • Cardiopulmonary resescitation that includes a test demonstration on a mannequin,
  • Removing a foreign body causing an obstruction in an airway, and the Heimlich Maneuver; and,
  • Valid certification in each of these procedures from either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association or other providers as approved by the board

An initial teaching license is the first license issued to an applicant, regardless of content area or setting; once this license has been established all subsequent licenses will be exempt from the CPR/Heimlich Maneuver certification requirement.  A list of Approved providers can be found at the Indiana Department of Education CPR-Heimlich Maneuver Certification

Check this list of sites to find where you can go to get your First Aid/CPR and AED Certification near Valparaiso University.

American Red Cross

755 West Lincolnway
Valparaiso, IN 46385




Valparaiso University

Athletics and Recreation Center
Valparaiso, IN 46383


  • Rin Seibert
  • (219) 464-5211

Class Dates/Time:

  • Call for class sessions
  • 5:30-9:30p.m.
  • Offer Day or Evening Classes
Fee/Cost $60 per person payable by Cash or Check made out to VU
Registration Pre-registration is required. 20+ people a session.
Future Class Schedule Can call for future classes.
Certification Issued a few weeks after completion of course.


301 West Homer Street
Michigan City IN 46360


  • Monday - Saturday
  • (219) 757-6368
  • Call for class schedule and fee.



Porter Memorial Hospital

1401 Calumet Ave.
Valparaiso, IN 46383
  • Monday - Friday
  • 8:30a.m. - 4:30p.m.
  • (219) 263-4979 phone
  • (219) 477-5698 fax
  • Call for class schedule and fee.



*This information is provided to Valparaiso University students as a reference only. Costs and arrangements are subject to change by the training agency. Valparaiso University, Department of Education neither requires nor recommends students use any particular agency for their CPR certification.

*After July 1, 2007, according to Indiana Law, all applicants for teaching licenses must produce current CPR certification before the official recommendation for licensure can be sent to the Indiana Division of Professional Standards.