Valparaiso University Undergraduate Advising Checklist for:
Adolescent/Young Adult (Secondary) Developmental Level
(Effective Fall, 2001 for freshman and sophomores entering program)
Name: ________________________________ Date ___________________
I. Special Education Course Work
In order for it to be possible to complete all requirements for Secondary Education and the additional special Education content area, these two courses must be taken no later than the sophomore year (second year) of enrollment at Valparaiso University. If taken later than the sophomore year, the sequence of courses for this content area can not be completed in a four-year time span. These two courses can be taken before admission to teacher education with no special approvals required.
Course Semester Grade
SPED 347 Characteristics of Individuals
with Mild Disabilities II (3 Cr.) _____ _____
SPED 348 Observation of Individuals with
Mild Disabilities (1 cr.) _____ _____
- SPED 347 is a prerequisite for SPED 441, SPED 444, SPED 450, SPED 451 and SPED 489. You will not be able to complete on-line registration for any of the higher level Special Education courses unless you have taken SPED 347.
- SPED 347 and SPED 348 (Spring Only)
Other required special education course work taken after Admission to Teacher Education.
SPED 440 Learning Exceptionalities (3cr.) _____ _____
SPED 441 Assistive Technology (1 cr.)
(Fall Only) _____ _____
SPED 444 Assessment is Special Education (3 cr.) _____ _____
Prerequisite for SPED 444: SPED 347
SPED 489 Teaching the Individual with
Mild Disabilities (Grades 6-12) (3 cr.) _____ _____
Prerequisite for SPED 489: SPED 347
Prerequisite or Co-requisite for SPED 489: SPED 444
SPED 448 Teaching Practicum with Individuals
with Mild Disabilities (Grades 9-12) (1 cr.) _____ _____
SPED 448 must be taken in the same semester as SPED 489.
SPED 450 Models of Collaboration and
Consultation in Special Education (3cr) _____ _____
Prerequisite for SPED 450: SPED 347
SPED 451 Applied Behavior Analysis (3 cr.) _____ _____
Prerequisite for SPED 451: SPED 347
SPED 449 Supervised Teaching in General and
Special Education (12 cr.) _____ _____
Prerequisites for SPED 449: SPED 489 and SPED 446 C
- Other Required Course Work
SPED 466 Teaching Reading to Students with
Disabilities (3 cr.) (Fall Only) _____ ______
NOTE: Prerequisite to ED 465 and 466 – 3 credits of reading coursework.
- Developmental Level Course Work
The following developmental level course work is also required. Consult your advisor for the checklist that addresses these courses. This list is provided here as a reminder that these courses must also be successfully completed in order to earn a teaching license.
ED 203 ED 457
ED 204 ED 460
ED 305 ED 474
ED 370 ED 485
- Sequence of Course Work
- Freshman or sophomores may take SPED 347 and SPED 348. Both courses are taught in only the Spring semester of every year. These courses must be completed by end of sophomore year to complete this content area in four years.
- Juniors take SPED 440. SPED 440 is taught every Fall and Spring semester. SPED 440 can not be taken until after admission to teacher education.
- Juniors or senior may take SPED 441, SPED 444, SPED 489, SPED 448, SPED 450, and SPED 451. SPED 444, SPED 489, SPED 448, and SPED 451 are taught fall semester of every year. SPED 450 is taught spring semester of every year.
- SPED 449 – Student teaching – is typically taken in the Spring semester of the student’s final year at Valparaiso University. If it is necessary to do SPED 449 during the fall semester, special permission from the Professional Development and Placement office is needed to arrange this.
- Important Notes
- Special Education in now considered a content area like Math, English, Social Studies, etc. for licensing purposes (not for Valparaiso University degree purposes). There are no more reading or special education endorsements in the new licensing system. In the new licensing system, you will have Exceptional Needs Education: Mild Interventions as the special education content area on your license. In order to have this on your license, you will need to take the correct PRAXIS II Special Education Content Area tests and obtain the passing score on this test. (For rules 2002, take tests 0353 and 0542. For rules 46-47 take tests 0351 or 0353 and 0381.)
- Exceptional Needs Education: Mild Interventions includes the student categories of emotional/behavioral disabilities, learning disabilities, and mild mental retardation.
- The list of classes on this check sheet qualifies you to teach students with mild disabilities only in grades one through six. If you want to be qualified to teach special education in grades 1 through 12, you must also take the following course:
SPED 445 Teaching the Individual with
Mild Disabilities (Grades 1-6) (3 cr.) _____ _____
Prerequisite or co-requisite to SPED 445: SPED 444.
SPED 444 and SPED 445 are taught fall semester of every year.