Jay '67 and Doris Christopher
Part of a $33 million project, the Christopher Center was made possible through gifts from alumni and friends, including a $16 million gift from Jay '67 and Doris Christopher. Three generations of the Christopher family have graduated from Valparaiso University. This includes Jay's parents, Maxine (Cimaglio '37) and Walter '34, '36 J.D., brother Scott '68, '73 J.D., and daughter Kelley '97. Walter served as president of the Alumni Association board in its earliest years. Jay is a member of VU's Board of Directors and College of Business Administration National Council. Doris and Jay each hold honorary doctor of laws degrees from the University.
Henry F. Moellering
The Christopher Center replaces the former Henry F. Moellering Library. Dedicated in 1959, that building was constructed with the aid of a major gift from Margaret Moellering, widow of Henry F. Moellering. Henry was a member of the board of directors following purchase of the University by a group of Lutheran clergy ad lay leaders who created the Lutheran University Association. The Moellering name will be associated with the University in perpetuity. The library holdings are now known as the Moellering Collection in honor of the family who also counts three generations as VU supporters. The third generation includes Harold '65, Richard '64, Robert C. Jr. '58, Carl '64, Barbara '66, and John '76 (honorary).
The Christopher Center Special Collections have a particular strength in Reformation-era theology, with an emphasis on collecting various early editions of the writings of Martin Luther
Support of the University's Three Goals, One Promise campaign made construction of the Christopher Center possible. Among the major donors to the building project are those whose gifts are recognized in special areas of the building.