A Learning Environment

Students in both geography and meteorology benefit from numerous opportunities for field study whether examining the impact of volcanoes and lava flow in Hawaii or following the development of storms on the Great Plains.

Kallay-Christopher Hall is home of the Department of Geography and Meteorology, providing attractive classrooms, well-equipped laboratories, faculty offices, conference/seminar space and other amenities for students and faculty in the two disciplines.

Among notable features of the building, first used in January 2005, are two map file classrooms with beautiful oak cabinets filled with hundreds of maps from the United States Geological Society for use in laboratory instruction.

Kallay-Christopher Hall

The Weather Center in Kallay-Christopher Hall provides students with access to professional equipment.

Another feature is the 1,000-square-foot Weather Center, which contains 20 computers providing access to a breadth of data useful in tracking weather systems and preparing forecasts. By spring 2006, there also will be unlimited access to Valpo’s own Doppler radar, which is being erected on campus.

Building Honors Former Faculty Member, Donors

Kallay-Christopher Hall is named in honor of the late Dr. Ferencz Kallay, former professor of geography, and the Christopher family, which provided the principal gift that led to construction of the 16,830-square-foot building.

Dr. Kallay joined the faculty in 1957 and was named professor emeritus of geography following his retirement in 1990. He served as chair of the Department of Geography from 1967 to 1976. Jay and Doris Christopher of Hinsdale, Ill., both of whom hold honorary doctor of laws degrees from Valpo, made lead gifts for construction of the building. Jay Christopher and his brother, Scott, are Valpo graduates and Scott, a geography major, was a student of Dr. Kallay.