Surplus Redistribution

Please note that all surplus transfers should now be directed to Jim Spier, Lead Landscape North for Maintenance. He may be reached at 464-6852 or at

University Surplus Property Redistribution

The VU surplus property operation is dedicated to the redistribution of University property.

Removing Furniture and Equipment from Your Building

When an item is no longer needed by a department, the department should fill out the surplus transfer form below and email it to or fax to x 6721 attn. Jim Spier. There is no charge for removing surplus furniture and equipment. Once removed, the responsibility of the furniture or equipment transfers from the department to surplus property and is available for redistribution.

Form 1. Surplus transfer to storage

Moving Furniture and Equipment from Surplus to Your Department

If you're looking for surplus items for your department you can contact Jim Spier at 219-464-6852 or at to schedule a time to review University surplus items. If you find something for your department fill out the surplus transfer form below and email it to or fax to x 6721 attn. Jim Spier. There is no charge for moving surplus furniture and equipment. All items are tranferred in "as is" condition. Once the furniture or equipment transfers from surplus to the department, the responsibility is also transferred.

Form 2. Surplus transfer from storage

What Happens to University Surplus?

  • Furniture and Equipment: items in good condition are moved to a storage area and made available to all departments at no cost. Should there be no need on campus for the items in storage they will be sold or recycled.

Computers and Printers

  • Surplus computers and printers go to IT. The hard drives are wiped clean of all software including the operating system. Components and repair parts may be salvaged. Once this is complete, computers are recycled. Use form 1 for these transfers. FM will contact IT.

Sale of Surplus Property

  • Public auctions are held on an as needed basis. This typically occurs once every few years. Auctions are advertised in the Campus Chronicle and in the local newspapers. Public auction houses may also be used as well as brokers or charitable organizations.
  • Sales by invitational bid are held when appropriate. Sales are advertised in the Campus Chronicle.

Giving Property Away

Regardless of condition or value, you may not give VU property to any person or entity. In some situations property may be donated to other nonprofit agencies. However, Facilities Management coordinates these efforts.

Refuse Property

Items found near or around dumpster's and/or temporarily stored awaiting disposal are the property and responsibility of Valparaiso University. As such, items may not be removed from University property.