Our Lutheran Heritage
1925
The Lutheran era in University history began in 1925 with purchase of the institution by the Lutheran University Association (LUA). The LUA composed of clergy and laity, who saw a bright future for the University; desired to provide Lutheran young people a university education in a church related setting.

1926
Rev. Dr. William H.T. Dau became the first Lutheran President.

A voluntary chapel program began.

1927
A Department of Religion was established.

1930
In May of 1930, The Rev. Oscar Carl Kreinheder became the second president of the University.

A department of Religion is established

1931
The Valparaiso University Guild was formed.

In November, the first "Valpo Sunday" is observed in LCMS congregations.

1934
The mission of the Department of Education is refocused to include preparation of elementary and secondary schoolteachers for parochial schools.

1938
The gymnasium was the first new building constructed under Lutheran administration.

1939
When President Kreinheder had to step down because of health reasons, Professor Walter G. Friedrich was appointed Acting President and served from July 1939 to October 1940.

1940
The Board of Directors elected The Rev. Otto Paul Kretzmann as the University's third president, a position he held for 28 years.

1943
The Lutheran Deaconess Association moved to Valpo.

Student Council initiates "student-run Honor Code," which is still in effect today.

1948
Institute of Liturgical Studies holds its first conference on campus.

1951
The Luther League gives the Cresset, a journal of humanities, the arts, and public affairs, to Valpo.

1953
The Lutheran Human Relations Association of America found a home on VU's campus. The Rev. Andrew Schulze, becomes the first Executive Secretary.

1956
The University receives $2,500,000 from the LCMS "Building for Christ" campaign for a new chapel.

The Youth Leadership Training Program (YLTP) began to train full-time youth workers for the church.

1959
The dedication of "Valparaiso University's Memorial Chapel" took place on September 27, 1959. This building remains the most visible symbol of the Lutheran character of the institution.