Payroll procedures

The first time students works on campus, they are required to fill out W-4 and I-9 tax forms and complete direct deposit paperwork with the Office of Human Resources. These forms must be filled out before the student's name can be added to the University payroll. After Human Resources receives a Student Employment Request Form, tax forms, and direct deposit forms, they will forward the paperwork to Payroll so a time card may be issued. No student will receive a time card until these forms have been completed.

Students are paid every two weeks, on the same days other University employees are paid. Their pay will be deposited directly into the checking or savings account they designated on their direct deposit form. You can access your advice on the web through DataVU, the procedure is as follows.

  • Go to
  • Click on “Employees”
  • Click on "Log in"
  • Enter your e-mail user name
  • Enter your e-mail password
  • Click on "Payroll Advice"
  • Check the box next to the pay date you want to view
  • Hit “enter” or scroll down to select “submit”

The Financial Aid Office monitors only Federal Work-Study earnings. When students earn the full amount of their Federal Work Study award, they will be "switched" to V.U. Work Study. It is the department's responsibility to monitor each student in terms of their total earnings, and the effect that those earnings will have on the department budget. Time cards will not be stopped unless the Financial Aid Office is notified in writing.

Wages paid to "student employees" are subject to state and federal withholding taxes, but not Social Security.