Welcome to the German program at Valparaiso University: it could be the first step on an exciting journey!
When you take a German class at Valpo, you’ll be making strides towards a great future. Valpo’s German program offers a solid and innovative curriculum that helps you achieve your goals in linguistic fluency and cultural competence and that prepares you for a variety of personal and professional pursuits after graduation. You’ll be impressed by all that the program has to offer.
• In November 2014, Professor Jennifer Bjornstad was recognized by the Indiana chapter of the AATG as the collegiate German Teacher of the Year.
• In February 2012, Valparaiso’s German program was designated a “German Center of Excellence” by the American Association of Teachers of German. Valpo’s German program was among the first two U.S. collegiate institutions ever to receive this honor. Click here to read the letter of congratulations from AATG President, Keith Cothrun.
• In August 2012, Valpo was listed as one of the “Ten Most Innovative Colleges for Foreign Language Study” by TheBestColleges.org. Click here to read the article.
• Classes are taught in German by our three faculty members, all of whom have a Ph.D. in German.
• A German major combines easily with many other majors.
• A German minor is easy to earn; if you test into German 204 (and take it!) and study abroad in Reutlingen for a semester, you only need two other classes for the minor.
• The opportunities to enhance your learning outside of the classroom at Valpo are numerous; activities like our Fastnacht Dance and yearly trip to the Chicago Lyric Opera are plentiful.
• Our program is well funded. We have a fabulous German House, lots of interesting programming, and substantial scholarship funds available for both incoming students and students who study abroad.