The mission of the Valparaiso University Parents Council is to serve an ambassadorial role promoting and supporting VU, and act as a liaison between parents, students and the university.
- Membership shall be limited to parents of current full-time undergraduate enrolled students at VU. It shall be composed of no more than 30 individuals (ideally representing all four classes and the university colleges). Members shall be appointed after an application and selection process conducted jointly by the members of the parent council and the office of alumni relations. Former parent council members may continue on the council following their student’s graduation at the discretion of the office of alumni relations.
- The organization shall be informal. There shall be no constitution or by-laws.
- The parent council will conduct two official meetings – one in the fall around Family Weekend and one in the spring. Members are expected to attend all meetings and Parents Weekend. Notification to the office of alumni relations is required for those who are unable to attend. Non-attendance at two consecutive meetings is cause for membership review by the council chairs and the office of alumni relations.
- Parents council chairs will be selected and appointed by the office of alumni relations.
The purpose of the VU Parent Council shall be:
- To guide the members of the parent community toward increased support, understanding and enthusiasm for Valparaiso University and its mission,
- To develop the parent community as a resource for the university and its students,
- To provide a vehicle for communication between the parent community and the university.
Responsibilities and Activities:
- Be ambassadors for VU by promoting parental involvement.
- Plan and coordinate programs and events for Parents Weekend.
- Serve as a resource for the university.
- Support VU activities on and off campus.