Graduation Process
Spring Graduation in the ARC

The information provided on this page will help guide you through the graduation process. If you have questions regarding graduation, commencement, or status relating to the completion of your degree, please contact The Graduate School, either by email at or by phone at 219.464.5313

Applying for Graduation

In order to be eligible to graduate, you must complete and submit to the The Graduate School:

The deadline for this information is Friday, February 10, 2012. Once we have received these documents, our office will review your file to see if you meet the requirements for graduation. If there are any discrepancies, we will inform you of what they are and what is needed to fix the problem.

NOTE: Students must submit these items to be eligible to participate in the annual Commencement Ceremony and to receive their diploma.
Cap and Gown

 Cap and Gown orders are done through the VU Book Center. There are three ways to place your order for Caps and Gowns:

  • At Grad Finale: To be held the month before graduation ceremony. Contact the registrars office for more information regarding this event. 219.464.5212
  • In person: Stop by the VU Book Center to place your order. To find out the days and hours that they are open, click here.
  • By phone: For those students who are unable to place their order in person (due to your work schedule or living outside of Northwest Indiana), you can place your order by phone. The VU Book Center number is 219-464-5421. You will be asked to provide the following: name, height, weight, program that you are in, and a debit/credit card number.
Caps, gowns, hoods, and tassels can be picked up at the VU Book Center.
Commencement The Commencement ceremony will be held on May 20, 2012. You will receive information from the Registrar's Office and University Relations about the Commencement Ceremony. You can also find information on the VU website at .
Diploma Diplomas will be available in early January for December graduates, the day after graduation for May graduates. You may pick up your diploma in person from the Registrar's Office or by certified mail. If you would like to receive it by certified mail, you will need to download this form and return it to the Registrar's Office.
Petition to Walk Early Those students who will be completing their program during the summer are eligible to take part in the May Commencement under the following guidelines:

Students with 9-12 credits yet to complete must submit a Petition for Early Graduation Participation along with their Diploma Application to the Graduate School Office. This will be approved only on the condition that they are registered for the remainder of the credits during the next semester.

Information for Dual Degree Students
Dual degree students have the option of not counting their cross-over credits from Law as unfinished credits for their graduate degree for the purposes of participation in commencement.