Endowment Fund

The endowment fund for the Institute of Liturgical Studies promotes the ongoing work of the Institute.  Meeting annually on Valparaiso University’s campus, the Institute seeks to transform the church’s worship by providing leaders with continuing education in an academic setting.  The 3-day conference each spring centers around worship in the Chapel of the Resurrection, and also offers a mixture of plenary presentation, workshops, exhibits, and fellowship.  Now in its 60th year, the Institute attracts around 350 registrants each year.  Registrants are primarily pastors and church musicians, and come from an increasing ecumenical breadth.

The Rev. Herbert F. Lindemann
1909-1995

Herbert LindemannThe Institute’s endowment fund was initially established in 1995 in memory of Herbert F. and Ruth Lindemann by the Lindemann’s estate.  In 2008, the Herbert F. and Ruth Lindemann memorial address was established in honor of the Lindemanns.

Pastor Herbert F. and Ruth Lindemann embraced liturgical practices as enriching the life of the church. Herb, a parish pastor, centered his ministry on worship—liturgy, sacrament, music, and preaching—but his passion was liturgy. Ruth, with extensive knowledge of sacred music and a beautiful alto voice, supported and strengthened these endeavors.

Herb belonged to the Liturgical Society of St. James and its successor, the Institute of Liturgical Studies at Valparaiso University and was chairman of the latter from 1958-1976. In 1966 he worked with then-director Hans Boehringer to institute an ecumenical conference that involved leading liturgical representatives of the Episcopal, Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic churches shortly after the Second Vatican Council. He became the chair of the Inter-Lutheran Commission on Worship, which produced the Lutheran Book of Worship.

Especially in the 1960s and 1970s, students from Concordia Senior College in Fort Wayne came to Redeemer Lutheran Church, where Herb was pastor, to participate in the liturgical life and to hear him preach. Many of these students were guests in Herb and Ruth’s home, often for Sunday dinner. One among them was David Truemper, who became a lifelong friend and colleague, in whose memory recent gifts to the Institute’s endowment established the Truemper concert as another permanent part of the Institute.

The Rev. Dr. David George Truemper
1939-2004


TruemperThe David G. Truemper Endowment Fund was established in 2005 in honor of David's tenure as Director of the Institute of Liturgical Studies. He served for 20 years as the Executive Director of the Institute of Liturgical Studies

The Reverend David G. Truemper joined the Valparaiso University faculty as professor of Theology in 1967, and served from 1993-2004 as Chair of the Theology Department.  David attended Concordia College, Milwaukee, and earned degrees from Concordia Senior College, Ft. Wayne, Indiana, B.A. (1961); Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, Missouri, M.Div. (1965); S.T.M. (1969); Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago/Christ Seminary – Seminex, PhD (1974) in Theology.  He was ordained into the holy ministry in 1968.  He served Lutheran congregations in northern Indiana and as a member of the pastoral staff of the Chapel of the Resurrection at Valparaiso University.

In addition to his teaching at Valparaiso University, he served as visiting Professor of Systematic Theology at Concordia Seminary and Concordia Seminary in Exile, St. Louis, and Notre Dame University.  He was a member of the American Academy of Religion, the Council on the Study of Religion, the North American Academy of Liturgy, and Societas Liturgica.

David co-authored Keeping the Faith:  An Introduction to Christian Doctrine with colleague and friend, Frederick Niedner, Jr.  In addition, he contributed a vast number of articles to a variety of professional journals and University publications.  A frequent lecturer, David Addressed areas of Liturgical study and practice, Christology, Martin Luther’s theological thought, the Lutheran Confessions, and ecumenism.

Gifts in memory of David will support the future work of the Institute of Liturgical Studies.