Extension of Stay

F-1 and J-1 students must complete their program before the date noted on item #5 of their I-20 or item #3 of their DS-2019.  If you are unable to complete the program by that date, you must apply for an extension BEFORE your I-20 or DS 2019 expires.  You are eligible to extend your I-20 or DS-2019 if you have been maintaining your F-1 or J-1 status, and if you have been making normal progress toward completion of your degree.  Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reason for program extension.
Before you call our office (464-5333) to make an appointment with an advisor, you should gather the following documents:

  1. Current I-20 or DS-2019
  2. Valid passport and I-94 card
  3. Original financial support for the time period requested (dependents included)
  4. Completed Academic Advisor Form 
  5. If you have changed your major or added a major, please bring documentation to prove the change.

Important Note:
Extension of F-1 or J-1 status is the student’s responsibility.  If your I-20 or DS-2019 expires, you are out of status and would need reinstatement from USCIS; if you work after your I-20 or DS-2019 expires, you are considered to have engaged in unauthorized employment and you would face serious consequences.  Apply early and schedule an appointment with an advisor at OIP at least one month before your I-20 or DS-2019 expires; make sure you have all the required documents at the meeting.