Driver's License

International Driver’s License

  • An International Driving Permit (IDP) is an acceptable English translation of license information, and must be accompanied by the out-of-country license.
    • The IDP is a document/card separate from your out-of-country license; simply having an out-of-country driver’s license is not enough!
    • This IDP is only valid for 1 year; after that time, you must obtain a full U.S. driver’s license.

If you don’t have an IDP, or you have been living in the U.S. for 1+ years…

Obtaining a U.S. Driver’s License

  • Your country's driver's license may be accepted as proof of driving experience, eliminating the learner’s permit requirement but not the driver’s license requirement! If the license is not in English, an English translation on a separate page on letterhead from the Valparaiso University Office of International Programs (OIP) may be provided.  

To receive this translation from the OIP

  • Bring your driver’s license and VU ID card to the office.
  • We will make a copy and prepare the translation letter.
  • You may return to the OIP to pick up your translation within 5 business days



  • You must go to the local Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to apply for the driver’s license.
    • Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
      1361 Morthland Drive, Suite G
      Valaparaiso, IN 46385 (Off of Highway 30 near Harley Davidson Dealership)
      (219) 462-4814
    • Click here for BMV website
    • Location on Google maps 
    • Feel free to contact the Office of International Programs,, if you need help in understanding the driver’s license process.

If You Have an Out-of-state Driver’s License

  • You have 60 days to get an Indiana driver's license if you have moved here from another state, and are holding a license from that state.