International Driver’s License
- An International Driving Permit
(IDP) is an acceptable English translation of license information, and must be
accompanied by the out-of-country license.
- The IDP is a document/card separate from your out-of-country
license; simply having an out-of-country driver’s license is not enough!
- This IDP is only valid for 1 year;
after that time, you must obtain a full U.S. driver’s license.
If you don’t have an IDP, or you
have been living in the U.S. for 1+ years…
Obtaining a U.S. Driver’s License
- Your country's driver's license may
be accepted as proof of driving experience, eliminating the learner’s permit
requirement but not the driver’s license
requirement! If the license is not in English, an English translation on a
separate page on letterhead from the Valparaiso University Office of
International Programs (OIP) may be provided.
receive this translation from the OIP
- Bring your driver’s license and VU ID card to the office.
- We will make a copy and prepare the translation letter.
- You may return to the OIP to pick up your translation within
5 business days
- You must go to the local Bureau
of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to apply for the driver’s license.
- Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
1361 Morthland Drive, Suite G
Valaparaiso, IN 46385 (Off of Highway 30 near Harley Davidson Dealership)
- Click here for BMV website
- Location on Google maps
- Feel free to contact the Office of
International Programs, valpo.edu/international, if you need help in
understanding the driver’s license process.
Have an Out-of-state Driver’s License
- You have 60 days to get an Indiana
driver's license if you have moved here from another state, and are holding a
license from that state.