Health Information & Insurance

The practice of medicine in the United States can be very different from other countries. We hope to provide you with some information that will help you in your efforts to find medical attention.

If you get sick, you should visit the university Health Center. If the Health Center is closed, you should go to the Emergency Room at Porter Memorial Hospital.


Urgent vs. Emergency conditions


Urgent condition:

  • An urgent condition is an illness or injury that won’t cause further disability or death if not treated immediately, but requires professional attention to prevent it from developing into a greater threat. In these circumstances, you should go to the Health Center.

Emergency condition:

  • Emergency condition is what an average person believes could threaten life, limb or eyesight without immediate treatment. If the situation requires immediate medical treatment, or there are painful symptoms requiring immediate attention to relieve suffering, the situation is an emergency. Only in these circumstances should you go to the emergency room at the hospital.

Nearby Doctors 

  • Franciscan Express Care (Accepts Walk-Ins): 2307 LaPorte Ave, Suite B (219) 476-9389
  • Dr. Faleh Atassi: 808 Lincolnway, (219) 462-4446
  • Dr. Arjun Gupta: 2031 Roosevelt Road, (219) 464-8007
  • Dr. Eugene Lin: 2421 LaPorte Ave., (219) 462-4167
  • (Dentist) Dr. Mike Uzelac: 850 Marsh St. Suite A, (219) 464-8532

In most cases, the Health Center can provide the services that you would receive at these doctors. However, if you still feel the need to see a private physician, we have listed them here. Be sure to call the doctor before you visit him. Ask if he has any appointment times in the near future and be sure to ask if he accepts your insurance plan.


Medical insurance

All international students are required to buy medical insurance with aggregate medical maximum of at least $500,000 worth of coverage per policy year. This insurance is offered through Valparaiso University or you may choose to buy insurance through a separate provider. Either way, proof of your insurance must be presented to the OIP (Office of International Programs) by the first day of classes. It is strongly recommended that you purchase the insurance that is offered through Valparaiso University.

Alternate Insurance Providers

Below is a list of major health care providers in the United States:

Claims Procedure

If you have the VU student insurance plan and have paid the fee for the Student Health Center, then they will help you file your claim. However, if you have a commercial plan or if you have not paid the Student Health Center fee, then you must file your claims on your own. To file a claim you will need to submit a claim form to your insurance that includes the bill that was sent to you by your doctor. You should always keep a copy of all of your medical bills. Each company has a different claim procedure and you can find out that procedure by visiting the company’s website or calling the customer service number on your insurance card.


Helpful Links:

Use these links to help you decide where to go for medical assistance.