Utility Services

If you decide to rent off-campus housing, utility services may or may not be included in your apartment lease. Before signing the lease, ask the apartment manager which utilities you are responsible to arrange yourself.

Most utility services will ask for a Social Security Number (SSN) as a requirement. In all cases, it is possible to obtain these services without an SSN, but you may need to explain that as non-working foreign citizen, you are not eligible for an SSN. If you have an SSN, you will be able to arrange most services for telephone during the hours of service listed.

If you do not have an SSN, we recommend that you visit the offices in person where possible. It is generally easier to present your passport and other required documents in person. If you require assistance in these matters, please speak to anyone in the OIP (Office of International Programs).

There are three main utility service in Porter County. Gas and electricity are provided by  NIPSCO, water and trash are provided by Valparaiso City Utilities, and internet, cable, and phone service are usually provided by Comcast or DirecTV (though there are other providers for these services).


Electricity is used for heating and cooking in many apartment buildings, and you may be responsible to arrange and pay for your own electrical service, if it is not included in your rent payment.

NIPSCO (www.nipsco.com)

You can apply for electric and/or gas service by calling our 24-hour Customer Service Center at 1-800-4-NIPSCO (or 1-800-464-7726). We are here to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 day a week. Information you will need to complete the application process:

  • Full name
  • Birth date
  • Social Security number
  • Place of employment, address, and telephone number
  • Address where service is located
  • Landlord‘s name, address and telephone number

Note: NIPSCO may require deposits.


This also includes waste pick-up and storm-water drainage.

Valparaiso City Utilities (www.valparaisoutilities.org)


205 Billings Street

Valparaiso, IN 46383

(219) 462-6174

There are two ways to begin service with the water company and the website provided lists them both in detail.

Cable and Internet

Cable television and high-speed internet, as well as land-line phone service, can be purchased through Comcast. The best way to get your service set up is to visit their website (www.comcast.com). There, you will find many different types of packages, from basic internet and cable, to premium cable channels and high-speed internet. Also on their website is a “contact us” section. This section will describe to you in detail how to contact a Comcast representative.