Travel Outside the U.S.

Travel Procedures

1. Obtain travel signature from Office of International Program.  Bring your I-20 into OIP and sign the travel log. Please allow five working days to process your request.

2. If your F-1 visa stamp expired, you will need to apply for a new visa stamp to reenter the U.S.  Extra time is needed if we need to issue a new I-20 to reflect a new major, new educational level, new dependent information, or new funding source. Please provide us with any new information and supporting document.  You will carry your old I-20, new I-20, passport, official transcript, and new financial document to apply for a new F-1 visa at the U.S. Consulate.   See “What Items Do Returning Students Need” at

Travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean

F-1 students may re-enter the U.S. with an expired visa if you travel to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean for less than 30 days (a travel signature from OIP is still required).  However, automatic visa revalidation ( is not available for all students.  Please check with an OIP advisor for details.

Check and see if you need a visitor’s visa to enter Canada: (

Information to apply for a Canadian visa: (

Check and see if you need a visitor’s visa to enter Mexico: (

Canadian Consulate in Chicago: Does not process visa’s for Canada.

Please go online to

or plan on visiting the Detroit, Michigan Consulate. 600 Renaissance Center # 1100 Detroit, MI 48226

Tel: (313) 567-2340  Fax 313-567-2164

Mexican Consulate in Chicago

204 S. Ashland Ave., Chicago, IL 60607. Tel: 312-855-1380  Fax: 312-855-9257