Welcome to Campus

The good news is that you have successfully arrived in the United States and can begin preparing for classes. However, you still have a lot of things to accomplish before you begin classes, including recovering from jet lag!  The following is a general list of "things to do" to help you organize your first few days in the U.S., especially until you attend an International Student Orientation. 

For detailed information on living and moving around Valpo click here

Open a Bank Account

  • The OIP will assist you with information about banks in the area and provide a letter of introduction for you to present when opening an account.
  • When opening a bank account, you have several options: most people open both a savings account and a checking account.
    • Savings Accounts: money earns interest based on the bank’s percentage rate. Banks generally allow you to have a certain number of transactions (deposits and withdrawals), after which a small fee is charged.
    • Checking Accounts: money in this type of account generally does not earn interest, but it usually allows you more access to your money. Many checking accounts allow an unlimited number of transactions each month.
  • If you wish to open only one type of account, it is more helpful to have a checking account. You not only don’t need to carry cash around, but you can also pay any bill sent to you through the mail Never send cash through the mail!
  • Many students choose to open accounts with Chase Bank, which has multiple locations in Valparaiso, thus making them quite convenient for on and off-campus students.

Chase Bank

101 Easy Lincolnway
Valparaiso, IN 46383
(219) 465-9600


2200 Morthland Ave.
Valparaiso, IN 46383
(219) 465-9730


Obtain a One Card (Valparaiso University Student ID Card)

  • Once on campus, you will need to take to visit the One Card office in order to be issued a Valparaiso University student ID card. Your student ID card gives you access to campus your dorm, meal plan (if purchased), computer labs, the libraries and allows you to use the printers and copiers. For more information on obtaining a student identification card  as well as the benefits of doing so, please visit the One Card office.

OneCard Office
Christopher Center, 250
Phone: 219.464.5131

Obtain your Valpo Username and Password

  • Valparaiso University ‘s Information Technology Department will send you an email after being accepted to the University. In this email you will find your username and password, along with instructions on how to access your Valpo email and DataVU account.
  • DataVU  is a web portal that gives you access to registering for courses, updating your addresses, viewing your course schedule and tuition account information. We will offer a DataVU training session during new student orientation on how to update your addresses and other contact information in the system.
    • In order to be eligible for a DataVU User ID and Password, you must be accepted into a degree program at Valparaiso University. You do NOT need to be registered for classes in order to get your user ID and password. Visit IT for any questions regarding you Valpo Username and Password:

IT Help Desk
Christopher Center, First Floor
Phone: 219.464.5678


Meet with your Academic or Faculty Advisor

  • In order to register for courses, most departments require that you first meet with an academic or faculty advisor. For more information on who your academic or faculty advisor is, please contact your academic department directly.
    • College of Arts and Sciences: 219-464-5314
    • College of Business Administration: 219-464-5035
    • College of Engineering: 219-464-5210
    • College of Nursing: 219-464-5289
    • Christ College (The Honors College): 219-464-5022
    • Graduate Studies: 219-464-5313
    • School of Law: 219-465-7829

Register for Classes:

  • After you’ve met with your academic or faculty advisor, obtained your Campus user ID and password, you will be ready to register for classes by logging on to DataVU.valpo.edu.
  • International students in F-1 and J-1 non-immigrant student visa status must complete the following number of credits each term in order to be considered full-time by SEVIS:
    • Undergraduate: 12 credit hours
    • Graduate: 8 credit hours
    • Law: 12 credit hours (JD) or 8 credit hours (LLM)
    • English Language Academy: 4 courses