Immigration Documentation and SEVIS Fee
  • 1-20 or DS-2019

Individuals who come to the United States to study must apply for a student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country.

To apply for a student visa you must first obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status (also known as a SEVIS I-20 Form) or a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status (also known as a SEVIS DS-2019 Form).

In order to obtain a SEVIS I-20 Form or a SEVIS DS-2019 Form you will need to be admitted to a program of study and submit bank documents showing you have the financial ability to cover your educational and living expenses. For information on admission to Valparaiso University, please visit the Future Students Page.

Once you have received a SEVIS I-20 Form or a SEVIS DS-2019 Form from Valparaiso University, you will need to make an appointment with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate located in your home country.

Please make sure to apply for your visa as early as possible. Due to recent changes to visa processing and special clearances needed for some applicants, you are strongly encouraged to make your visa application appointment as early as possible.

  • SEVIS Fee

The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires each student or exchange scholar issued an initial Form I-20 or DS-2019 to pay a fee before applying for a visa. 

SEVIS Fee of $200 (for F-1 students) or $180 (for J-1 students) must be paid at least 3 days before your visa interview and you must bring the receipt with you to the interview. Please read the instructions for fee payment. It is recommended that you pay the SEVIS fee using a Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card, because you will be able to print out an online receipt immediately. If you do not have one of these credit cards, try to find someone who does, who could pay for you. Then you can reimburse that individual.

Þ Pay your I-901 SEVIS fee and print your receipt as

Þ Schedule an appointment for a visa interview at your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. For a complete list, visit