You must arrive in the United States no earlier than 30 days prior to the program start date listed on your Form I-20 (see section 5) or Form DS-2019 (see section 3) and no later than this date. If you attempt to enter the U.S. after this report date, you may be denied entry.
Please fill out the Arrival Form with your flight information so that our office can plan your arrival
Monday and Tuesday, January 5 and 6, are the days students should arrive at Valparaiso University for the Spring 2015 semester; undergraduate students may move into the residence halls on the evening of January 5.
Arrive at US Port of Entry
- At the U.S. port of entry, you will need to present the following documents to the inspections officer (do not pack these items in your checked luggage):
- Passport with F-1 or J-1 Visa (unless you are exempt from the visa requirement);
- Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 issued by Valparaiso University;
- Admission Letter;
- Evidence of Financial Resources; and
- Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record (if driving only).
- If flying into the US, you will not receive a paper I-94 arrival card as in the past. Your I-94 arrival record will be available online. If you are driving into the US, you will still receive a paper I-94 card to fill out. Make sure you enter your name clearly, exactly as it appears on your passport.
- You can retrieve your I-94 information after you arrive at this website.
The inspections officer will use the US-VISIT system and take a digital photograph of you and scan your fingerprints. The officer will mark on your passport or your I-94 either “J-1” and “D/S” or “F-1” and “D/S,” depending on your visa. “D/S” means that you can remain in the U.S. as long as you remain a student in valid immigration status. If the officer does not mark on your passport or your I-94 with the proper status or "D/S" or "F-1" and "D/S," ask the officer to correct it immediately.
Students should fly into O’Hare International Airport or Midway International Airport in Chicago, Illinois. The Office of International Programs staff will help coordinate your transportation from the airport to Valparaiso University.
- Ride the Coach USA Supersaver Bus to Portage, Indiana (a small town about 15 miles from Valparaiso).
- The cost is $28 for a one-way trip from the airport to Portage.
- At O'Hare, the bus leaves from the Bus Shuttle Center in Terminal 2 and in Terminal 5.
- Ask the bus driver to call our office ($1 charge) and let us know of your arrival at Portage.
- Our office staff will pick you up and drive you to Valparaiso.
- The office phone number is 219-464-5333, and, for after office hours, call 219-309-7757.
- Office Hours 8:00 am - 5:00 pm