State Judicial Externship Syllabus – SUMMER 2014
NOTE: Must upload all documents via Westlaw’s TWEN for all mid-term and final report submissions.
Early Report – by Tuesday, May 27 - The purpose of this early report is to confirm you have started your hours, set a work schedule and identify any problems that need to be remedied.
State Judicial – Submit a brief email message to Prof. Vance at email@example.com (cc: Lisa.Cannon@valpo.edu) detailing your externship experience to date.
1. Mid-term Reports – Friday, June 20 - It is critical that your field supervisor’s evaluation and your reports are received on time. Plan accordingly and provide ample notice. Do not wait until the due date to request a mid-term evaluation from your field supervisor.
a. Time Log to date – Must be signed by Field Supervisor, with hours totaled. Hours completed should be approximately half the hours required for the full semester’s credit. You will not be eligible to decrease your extern credit past the drop/add deadline one week after class begins. Time Log is available on TWEN extern website, http://www.valpo.edu/law/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/2-EEPDF-ExDActLog.pdf and must be uploaded to TWEN by deadline.
b. Journal to date – Maintain a journal in a Word document with an entry for each day or few days you spend in your externship. These entries should reflect on what you are doing and observing in the workplace and should be at least ¾ to 1 page in length.
c. Work Product to date – Keep an electronic file of all final copies of your work product in Word format. Before you submit it, make sure that your Field Supervisor approves (some of your work product may not be appropriate for disclosure). If you are unable to submit work due to confidentiality, please note this in your work journal.
d. Field Supervisor’s Mid-term Evaluation of your work – please ask your Field Supervisor to submit it to you personally (as it is shared with each student once completed). You must submit this evaluation along with your other reports in TWEN.
2. Final Reports –Friday, August 1 - Submitted via Westlaw’s TWEN in Word format
a. Remaining time log – Signed by supervisor, with hours totaled which must equal amount required for your extern credits (45 hours per credit)
b. Final journal – Beginning at mid-term journal’s end, do not submit entire journal again
c. Work product – Include only your work completed since Mid-term Report
d. Field Supervisor’s Final Evaluation – Ask Field Supervisor to return forms to you in order to submit them to TWEN.
e. Part I and Part II Student Evaluations of your Externship/Field Supervisor and Faculty Supervisor/Director – You must complete evaluations of your Faculty Supervisor and Field Supervisor at the end of the semester to obtain credit. Forms are found on the TWEN website and must be uploaded by final deadline, with your final materials.
f. State Judicial Final Paper – The paper should be 3-5 pages, double-spaced and may be shared with future externs interested in working with a specific employer. You should discuss and analyze your experiences in light of your formal education.
TWEN Submissions for SUMMER 2014 Externship
1. Sign on to: www.lawschool.westlaw.com using your Westlaw password. Click the TWEN tab at top.
2. You MUST have your current email address listed in Westlaw to receive automated reminders about your TWEN extern course and assignment deadlines.
3. Word, PDF and PowerPoint documents will not print to Westlaw printers (only Westlaw docs)
4. Click on State Judicial or Non-Judicial Externship
5. In left column, under Navigation, click on Course Materials FALL 2013
6. A screen appears that lists the documents: Summer 2014 Syllabus/Guidelines, Time Log, Field Supervisor Mid-Term Evaluation, and Field Supervisor Final Evaluation. Click on the Options drop-down menu and select “download.” Print the document through the use of the printer icon in the upper right hand corner of the window. Must print to a regular printer, not the Westlaw printer!
7. Click on Assignment Drop Box – You will find a table that includes due date and the course assignment.
|Date Due||Course Assignment||Date Submitted||Version||Response|
|FRI, 6/20/2014 5:00 PM CDT||Journal||Submit|
|FRI, 6/20/2014 5:00 PM CDT||Mid-Term Field Supervisor Evaluation||Submit|
|FRI,6/20/2014 5:00 PM CDT||Time Log||Submit|
|FRI, 6/20/2014 5:00 PM CDT||Written Work Product||Submit|
8. To submit your documents, save them on your law school computer drive or a USB thumb-drive and submit each assignment to the appropriate folder above by the deadline. Try to combine multiple documents (work product, etc.) into one Word or PDF file for easier upload.
9. You MUST include your name in the title of your document for uploaded submissions for each assignment!
10. When you click on “submit your document” the screen allows you to browse for the appropriate document in “File to upload” field. Then click “SUBMIT.”
11. It is recommended you complete all documents in Word Format for easy access to downloads and uploads. If you submit files in PDF format, you will need to scan your documents first once they are completed. Scanners are available in the computer lab.
12. If you need assistance, the law school Westlaw reps may be able to provide assistance or contact Customer Support in the bottom left frame or email Lisa.Cannon@valpo.edu
There are 3 parties with whom you will be involved in each externship:
1. Field Supervisor/Judge at the extern site
2. Faculty Supervisor, State Judicial – Ruth Vance
3. Experiential Education Director – Lisa Cannon
Good Luck and enjoy your SUMMER 2014 Externship!