Valparaiso University Law School offers students the opportunity to use their laptops to complete their essay exams. In order to take advantage of this opportunity, students will need to utilize the SofTest software from ExamSoft. Please use the following information to make sure you have followed procedures and are prepared to use SofTest for finals.
Q. Are there any specific system requirements to run SofTest?
A. System requirements may be found on ExamSoft’s website.
Q. Where do I go to download SofTest?
A. www.ExamSoft.com/valpolaw (the institution ID is valpolaw).
Q. Do I need to reinstall SofTest this year if I already have it installed from a previous year?
A. Yes, students must reinstall SofTest once each academic school year. The new version of SofTest is available every fall semester.
Q. When does my SofTest license expire?
A. SofTest licenses expire August 31st of each year.
Q. When do I need to install SofTest?
A. SofTest must be installed and registered before you attend training.
Q. Do I need to attend training if I have used SofTest previous semesters and have attended training before?
A. You need to attend training once each academic year, even if you have used SofTest in the past.
Q. When is SofTest training?
A. Dates for registration deadlines and training sessions are listed at www.ExamSoft.com/valpolaw.
Q. What if I missed the SofTest installation and registration deadline?
A. Once this date has passed, anyone who has not completed the registration process will be removed from the ExamSoft site and will be unable to download the software.
Q. What if I am prepared to take laptop exams and decide to handwrite some or all of them instead?
A. You always have the option of writing; however, please advise Karen Koelemeyer if you decide to write.
More Important SofTest Information
After you install SofTest
- After you have installed and tested SofTest, do not remove any programs or files, defragment your hard disk, perform a system restore, or otherwise change your system configuration in any significant way until you complete your last computer exam. These tasks may interfere with SofTest’s ability to function normally.
- If you do have to make significant changes to your laptop, make sure that you run the test exam to ensure that SofTest is still working properly.
- Ensure that all necessary Windows updates are installed.
- Disable Antivirus and Malware applications.
- Bring your power cord and battery.
- Arrive to the exam room early, plug your computer into a power outlet, turn on the computer, and begin the launching process.
- Immediately before SofTest launches the exam, you will be provided a warning screen with RED STOP SIGNS indicating that you should not begin the exam until instructed to do so. Do not type begin until instructed to do so by the exam administrator.
- Do not uninstall SofTest until you receive your exam scores at the end of the academic year.