Valparaiso University Law School Introduces VOLT, First-Ever Mobile Career Planning Tracker
Valparaiso, IN – Valparaiso University Law School recently launched VOLT (Valparaiso Online Law Tracker), the school’s mobile “on-line law tracker” designed to help Valparaiso law students plan and complete the necessary steps to advance their careers and pass the bar. VOLT provides students with a scorecard which updates as students complete tasks, and benchmarks their progress against the rest of their class.
VOLT is believed to be the first tool developed specifically toward helping law career planning, and is an essential part of Valparaiso’s strategy to engage students as early as possible so that they can be career-ready after graduation. Through research, the school confirmed that the best way to reach students is through mobile communication. While other law schools have tools which are purely informational, VOLT is a password-protected, push/pull career planning tracker with one-to-one proactive communication between the school and the students.
“Our student and alumni focus groups told us that very early in their education, students want to be presented with the list of tasks and steps that are important for career preparation and for taking the bar exam,” said Jay Conison, dean, Valparaiso University Law School. “All that and more is included in VOLT.”
The main functions of VOLT are to:
- Provide students a scorecard, organized by of vital career planning steps. Each individual task is clickable with the option to find out more information.
- Deliver the student’s progress benchmarked against the rest of the class. Comparing an individual’s completion rate for each item to other students aims to create healthy competition and a sense of urgency to accomplish these tasks.
- Walk students through important steps in order for them to prepare for the bar exam.
- Access the Valparaiso Career Planning Center’s online home, strategy, job posts and directory.
- Access the law school calendar of events and the law school’s bi-weekly e-newsletter.
- Connect directly to the law school’s LinkedIn site.
Students will be encouraged to engage with the Career Planning Center and leverage the VOLT application. There will be a similar roll-out for the 2Ls and 3Ls. The success of VOLT will be measured by overall student participation and the completion of students’ lists. Quantitative and qualitative follow up research will be conducted.
To ensure that students have the resources they need to secure careers, Valparaiso Law has increased staffing in the Career Planning Center and is in the process of launching a focused campaign to promote the school and students to prospective employers.