Elderly and low-income taxpayers who need help preparing their tax returns will again be able to turn to the Valparaiso University Law School VITA program for assistance.
Valparaiso Law students participate in the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteers in Tax Assistance (VITA) community service program which offers free federal and state tax preparation to eligible taxpayers. The program, which begins on Saturday, Feb 12, will be held at Valparaiso University’s Law School (located at 656 Greenwich St.).
Generally, taxpayers with annual income of $49,000 or less are eligible for the free tax preparation help as long as they have not filed for bankruptcy, had a foreclosure, or received money from the sale of a business or home.
Adelita Licon, lead site coordinator for the school’s VITA program, said, “I feel very fortunate that we are once again able to provide this service for the hundreds of clients we serve each year. Not only do student volunteers have an opportunity to reach out into the community, but the students will also gain a skill that can be used in their legal careers and throughout their lifetime.”
Appointments may be made by visiting the group’s website, www.valpo.edu/law/vita and filling out the Make an Appointment form, or by calling VITA’s voicemail system at (219) 465-7900 and leaving a message. A member of the group will contact the individual to set up an appointment time.
Those receiving help must bring:
– A photo identification and Social Security Card for all those doing a tax return.
*Including spouses and children
– All wage and earning statements including W-2, W-2G, 1099R from ALL employers.
– Interest and dividend statements from banks (1099).
– A copy of last year’s state and federal return (if possible).
– Bank routing and account numbers.
– If you rent in Indiana, please bring your landlord’s name and address.
– If you are claiming medical expenses they need to be official receipts.
– Any divorce paperwork concerning the claiming of children on tax returns.
Questions about the VITA program can be directed to the group at email@example.com or by leaving a message on the voicemail system.