Elderly and low-income taxpayers who need help preparing their tax returns will again be able to turn to the Valparaiso University Law School VITA program for assistance.
Valparaiso Law students participate in the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteers in Tax Assistance (VITA) community service program which offers free federal and state tax preparation to eligible taxpayers. The program, which is every Saturday beginning, February 8 – April 15, will be held at Valparaiso University’s Law School (located at 656 Greenwich Street).
Generally, taxpayers with annual income of $52,000 or less are eligible for the free tax preparation help as long as they have not filed for bankruptcy, had a foreclosure, or received money from the sale of a business or home.
Chadd Reynolds, lead site coordinator for the school’s VITA program, said, “We are very fortunate to have such an amazing program to offer to the community. Our program has helped hundreds of people file their tax returns and we hope to continue to help hundreds more. This is a great way for our volunteers to give back to their community and a wonderful opportunity for them to gain skills that will be useful in their legal careers.”
Appointments may be made by calling VITA’s voicemail system at (219) 465-7900 and leaving a message. A member of the group will contact the individual to set up an appointment time.
Those receiving help MUST bring the following documents:
- A photo identification and Social Security Card for all those doing a tax return.
*Including spouses and children
- All wage and earning statements including W-2, W-2G, 1099R from ALL employers.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (1099).
- A copy of last year’s state and federal return (if possible).
- Bank routing and account numbers.
- If you rent in Indiana, please bring your landlord’s name and address.
- If you are claiming medical expenses they need to be official receipts.
- Any divorce paperwork concerning the claiming of children on tax returns.
Questions about the VITA program can be directed to the group at email@example.com or by leaving a message on the voicemail system.