Lutheran era in University history began in 1925 with purchase of
the institution by the Lutheran University Association (LUA). The
LUA composed of clergy and laity, who saw a bright future for the
University, desired to provide Lutheran young people a university
education in a church related setting.
William H.T. Dau became the first Lutheran President.
chapel program began.
A Department of Religion was established.
In May of
1930, The Rev. Oscar Carl Kreinheder became the second president
of the University.
of Religion is established
University Guild was formed.
the first "Valpo Sunday" is observed in LCMS congregations.
The mission of the Department of Education is refocused
to include preparation of elementary and secondary schoolteachers
for parochial schools.
was the first new building constructed under Lutheran administration.
Kreinheder had to step down because of health reasons, Professor
Walter G. Friedrich was appointed Acting President and served from
July 1939 to October 1940.
of Directors elected The Rev. Otto Paul Kretzmann as the University's
third president, a position he held for 28 years.
Deaconess Association moved to Valpo.
Council initiates "student-run Honor Code," which is still in effect
of Liturgical Studies holds its first conference on campus.
a journal of humanities, the arts, and public affairs, is given
to Valpo by the Luther League.
Human Relations Association of America found a home on VU's campus.
The Rev. Andrew Schulze, becomes the first Executive Secretary.
receives $2,500,000 from the LCMS "Building for Christ" campaign
for a new chapel.
Leadership Training Program (YLTP) began to train full-time youth
workers for the church.
of "Valparaiso University's Memorial Chapel" took place on September
27, 1959. This building remains the most visible symbol of the Lutheran
character of the institution.
Kretzmann started on the Inner City Peace Corps program. This program
led to the development of the Prince of Peace Volunteer Program
under the Board for Young People's Work in the Missouri Synod in
1965. This Program also gave impetus to the development of the Urban
Studies Program in Chicago.
Richard W Schlemann was appointed University Preacher. Department
of Religion was renamed to the Department of Theology
William Buege begins service as Dean of the Chapel.
becomes the fifth college within the University. President Kretzmann's
vision was that Christ College would " establish the relevance of
Lutheran theology to the liberal arts in every area." Four key words:
guided this unique honors college: honors, experimentation, integration,
and involvement. President Kretzmann appointed Professor Richard
P. Baepler, chairman of the Department of Theology, as Dean of Christ
Dr. Norman E Nagel became Dean of the Chapel. The College of Nursing
opened in the fall of 1968, with an enrollment of fifty-five freshmen,
achieving full accreditation with National League of Nursing in
G. Huegli was inaugurated as the fourth Lutheran president on September
10, 1969. The chapel was renamed the "Chapel of the Resurrection"
on October 5, 1969.
V. Schnabel becomes the fifth Valparaiso University President.
Light In Thy Light Lutheran youth retreat is held on campus.
Lutheran High School Teachers of Religion Symposium is held on campus.
Institute on Law and the Pastoral Ministry is held on campus.
Harre becomes the sixth Lutheran president.
University receives a 4.5 million dollar gift from Oliver and
Emma Allen to establish a scholarship program for church work
students. Thirty-three "Allen Scholars" are currently on campus.
University Center for the Arts(VUCA) is dedicated and the music,
art and theater programs expand dramatically.
anniversary of Valpo's Lutheran founding celebrated with many varied
events including a Founders Weekend and an Ethics Conference.
Guild prints the first University prayer book, "Our Hope for Years
of Faith, Lamp of Learning: A History of Valparaiso University"
by Richard Baepler is published.