Symphony, pit orchestra, and string chamber music rosters will be established through the orchestra auditions. Most incoming students are pre-scheduled, but for all others sign-up sheets for audition times will be on the wall outside of VUCA 1518 by August 23rd.
1. Secure an audition time
2. Download or pick up the assigned excerpt
3. Practice it, your chosen piece, and a scale
4. Come to the audition in Duesenberg, across from VUCA 1527
Bring to your audition:
• A completed audition form
• One minute of music you play well which shows off your technique and intonation
• A scale that you can play both legato and staccato over the range of your instrument
• The assigned excerpts for your instrument (available online)
• Your class schedule, if you are auditioning for chamber music
VUSO – The Symphony roster will be posted by noon on Wed. the 27th; orchestra rehearsal is that afternoon at 3:30 pm in 1518. The fall schedule includes concerts on September 27 and 29, October 11, December 5, 6, and possibly 7. Fall rehearsal retreat will be held September 6 and 7. Fall Break will be open this year, however, with no VUSO commitments.
Homecoming concert program “Variations” will feature Prof. Nicole Lee Preston as piano soloist, with works including:
Elgar –"Enigma" Variations
Rachmaninoff – Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini
And a work for piano with orchestra by Valparaiso alumnus Benjamin Krause
String Chamber Ensembles will finalize membership and rehearsal/coaching times at the end of the first VUSO rehearsal, Wed. Aug. 27th.
SHEET MUSIC FOR AUDITIONS