Valparaiso University is the site of a full-scale regional response and recovery simulation on Wednesday, May 28.
In the event of a large-scale disaster, natural or otherwise, Valparaiso University is considered a potential location for processing individuals from the tri-state area — Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin — in order to move them to a more permanent shelter or temporary housing. Today’s exercise simulates situations in which emergency responders would provide mass care and emergency assistance, shelter assignment, transportation coordination, family reunification, and provision of assistance before individuals relocate to more permanent, long-term shelters.
The regional hub exercise involves the following local and regional entities:
- Indiana Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Porter County Emergency Management Agency
- Valparaiso University
- Valparaiso University Police Department
- Federal Emergency Management Agency Region V
- Illinois Emergency Management Agency
- Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communications
- Cook County Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- DuPage County Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Chicago Transit Authority
- American Red Cross
- And other responders in Illinois
For more information contact Micah Bell, Indiana DHS District 1 Public Information Officer, at 219.405.0125.