Office of Sponsored Research Policies and Corresponding Forms
Sponsored Research Policy for Proposal Submission Deadlines
The Office of Sponsored Research is committed to ensuring timely submission of complete and competitive proposals. In order to do so, it is crucial that OSR receive proposals in advance of the deadline to provide for adequate internal review. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that proposals submitted by Valparaiso University faculty and/or staff can be reviewed and submitted in compliance with all sponsor and University requirements with minimal time constraints.
This policy applies to all proposal submissions, including preliminary proposals and subcontract proposals.
Five (5) Business Days in Advance
A Grant Proposal Approval Form (GPAF), final budget, budget justification, and draft project description are required and should be received by OSR a minimum of five business days prior to the sponsor deadline. Any cost share commitments should be well documented in the GPAF and budget. The draft project description must be developed enough to allow for the accurate identification of any potential compliance issues. Proposals received five business days or more in advance of the sponsor's deadline will receive a detailed review by OSR to provide greater assurance that the proposal can be submitted without errors. In addition, this allows time for the internal approvers to review and approve the project and to address any financial or project related questions that arise. Submission of the GPAF and supporting documents does not guarantee university approval of the proposal. Proposals that fail to meet this deadline will receive fundamental review to the extent reasonable, given the nature of the proposal and arrival date in OSR. Proposals that are not submitted to OSR by the five business day deadline will not be guaranteed complete internal approval or submission to the funding agency.
To access the full policy and Grant Proposal Activity Form, click below.
Policy on Conflicts of Interest in Sponsored Projects
To further the ideals of integrity and ethical behavior, and in accordance with state and federal regulations, Valparaiso University’s Policy on Conflicts of Interest in Sponsored Projects strives to reduce, manage or eliminate any conflicts of interest that may affect, or reasonably appear to affect, the sponsored projects of Valparaiso University employees.
Valparaiso University understands that relationships exist that could result in a conflict of interest. The purpose of this policy is to identify and manage such conflicts so that objectivity is ensured and research projects that are beneficial to society may proceed.
In correlation with the Grant Proposal Approval Form (GPAF), investigators will be required to disclose all significant financial interests (including those of the investigator’s spouse and/or dependent children) on the Disclosure Statement Form (DSF). Investigators will be required to provide an updated DSF on an annual basis. Investigators also have an obligation to disclose, by filing an updated DSF, any newly-acquired or discovered significant financial interests within thirty (30) days.
To access the full policy and Disclosure Statement Form, click below.
Indirect Costs Policy
Commencing with grant proposals submitted to the Provost on October 1, 2014, 40% of indirect funds (sometimes called overhead costs or funds) received from any outside grants will be transferred to the Dean of the college or the Vice President of the administrative unit from which the grant proposal originated. The remaining 60% of the indirect funds will remain in the university’s general operating budget for costs associated with administering grants including, but not limited to, accounting, administration, utilities, and facilities maintenance. If a grant originated from more than one college or administrative unit, the 40% return of indirect funds will be divided equally unless the Dean(s) and / or Vice President(s) mutually decide otherwise.
The Dean or Vice President may use these funds at his or her discretion. However, using the model of the College of Arts and Sciences, the following distribution is recommended: 50% to the principal investigator (or PI), 25% to the department of the PI, 25% to the Office of the Dean.
To access the fully policy, click below.