Travel Abroad

Travel Procedures

  1. Obtain travel signature from Office of International Program. There is no need to set up an appointment.  However, please allow five working days to process your request.
  2. If your F-1 visa stamp expired, you will need to apply for a new visa stamp to reenter the U.S.  Extra time is needed if we need to issue a new I-20 to reflect a new major, new educational level, new dependent information, or new funding source. Please provide us with any new information and supporting document.  You will carry your old I-20, new I-20, passport, official transcript, and new financial document to apply for a new F-1 visa at the U.S. Consulate.   See What Items Do Returning Students Need.

Travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean
F-1 students may re-enter the U.S. with an expired visa if you travel to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean for less than 30 days (a travel signature from OIP is still required).  However, automatic visa revalidation is NOT available for all students.  Please check with an OIP advisor for details.  

Canadian Consulate in Detroit:  Suite 1100, 600 Renaissance Centre, Detroit, Michigan 48243-1798. Tel.: (313) 567-2085, Fax: (313) 567-2125

Mexican Consulate in Chicago: 204 S. Ashland Ave., Chicago, IL 60607. Tel: 312-855-1380  Fax: 312-855-9257