A. When new students complete their enrollment confirmation, they will note if they are residing on-campus or are exempt from the on-campus residency requirement. During the month of June, new students will complete an On-Campus Housing Application during their June FOCUS session. If a student is unable to attend a June FOCUS session, details on how to complete the On-Campus Housing Application will be emailed to them.

For continuing students, materials regarding the annual room selection process are available from the Residential Life office.

A. Every effort is made to honor the preferences marked on the Enrollment Agreement. However, it is not possible to guarantee that each request will be met. The following procedures will be used.

  1. Returning residents (current residence hall students and students moving from off campus) are given first preference to sign up for fall housing accommodations during a special spring semester sign-up period.
  2. New residents (incoming freshmen, transfers, readmits, and those continuing students who failed to apply for a room during the special sign-up period) are assigned to the remaining spaces based on:Date the completed Enrollment Agreement is received.
    • Date the completed Enrollment Agreement is received.
    • Roommate preference. (Requests must be mutual; roommate preference takes priority over building preference).
    • Hall and/or room preferences.

A. Mutual requests for specific roommates are honored when possible. Otherwise, roommates are assigned using the information supplied on the On-Campus Housing Application. Room assignments are made without regard to race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, or national or ethnic origin.

A. Notices of room assignments are mailed in mid-July for incoming students. Along with your assignment, you will receive the name, address, and home phone number of your roommate and information on check-in procedures.

Returning students will receive a confirmation of their room assignment in mid-June.

A. We recommend that you purchase a remnant and cut this to size once you arrive on campus. In residence halls with built-in furniture (Alumni and Lankenau), there are 51 inches of floor width between the beds. Carpet will not fit under the beds due to the frames attached to the floor.

A. Room changes are allowed approximately two weeks after the start of each semester. To request a different room, students must complete a Room Change Request Form, available in Housing Self-Service.

Room Consolidation is a process which operates under the premise that residents paying for double occupancy are to reside in double accommodations. The process occurs the first eight weeks of each semester (except for noncom change periods). The process provides residents in unpaid single rooms the option of (1) voluntarily accepting a roommate, (2) voluntarily moving to another double room accommodation, (3) being reassigned to a double occupancy configuration by Residential Life, or (4) signing for and accepting the additional cost of a single room, rather than consolidating. Freshman students are not permitted to have single rooms, so option 4 is not available to those students.

Those students who do not comply with the process, refuse to accept a roommate, or refuse to move according to the policy are subject to disciplinary action and/or fines.

A. A limited number of single rooms are available. Most singles are assigned to continuing residents through our room selection process. Demand usually exceeds supply. Indicating a preference for a single room on the Enrollment Agreement or Housing Agreement does not guarantee the request will be granted. Students who are granted a single room will be sent confirmation by Residential Life; all others will be assigned double rooms and placed on a single-room waiting list.

Freshman students are not permitted to have a single room. Space availability is one reason, but more importantly, we feel it is critical for new students to have roommates for support and assistance during the first-year experience. Studies have shown that students having a roommate develop better interpersonal/social and coping skills during their first year when compared to students without roommates. In addition, studies show that first-year students with roommates get better grades, are less likely to withdraw, and generally report to be more satisfied with the college experience.

A. As you know, the University has a three-year residency requirement. Residential Life has been using a student’s total credit hours to determine when they are eligible for an exemption to the University’s Residency Requirement. Once a student achieves 88+ total credits, they are considered eligible to be given an exemption from the University’s housing requirement.

This policy is being revised to a six (6) semesters of on-campus residency to determine eligibility for exemption versus 88+ credit hours. Under this revised policy, the number of semesters a student has resided in campus housing must be at least six before they can be considered for the residency exemption. Certain off-campus academic programs (such as study abroad) would count toward this six semester requirement. Students that started at VU on or before the Fall 2014 (current junior and senior cohorts), the current method of determining eligibility for the Residency Exemption (88+credit hours) will still apply to them. Students that started at VU on or after Fall 2015 (current freshmen and sophomore cohorts), the revised policy will be applied.


Exceptions are:

  1. Students who live exclusively in the permanent or primary residence of a parent or legal guardian located within 50-miles of Valparaiso University campus (or 1-hour’s drive, whichever is shorter).
  2. Those who are 22 years of age by Sept. 1 of the academic year in question.
  3. Married students.
  4. Veterans of active duty with the United States Armed Forces.
  5. Those living in approved Fraternity housing. (You must have a Fraternity Housing Agreement Form on file in our office.)
  6. Parents of a minor child with whom you will live.
  7. Those having received an exemption through Residential Life.

A. For the fall semester, the residence halls open at 8 a.m. on the Saturday before classes start for all NEW Valparaiso University students. Upon arrival, you will need to check in at your residence hall’s front desk. Returning Valpo students may check into their residence hall beginning at 3 p.m. Students may continue to check in until 10 p.m. If for any reason a student will be checking in later than the evening before the first day of classes, he/she should contact Residential Life to make arrangements for a late check-in.

Students arriving for the spring semester may move in beginning at noon CDT on the Sunday before classes begin.


A. All residence hall rooms have been upgraded to receive a customized channel line up with more than 75 channels of entertainment, sports, news, local broadcast, and educational content. The service will be broadcast throughout campus and will be provided free to campus residents as a convenience of occupancy. All that is necessary to receive the service is a cable ready television set and a coaxial cable to connect the television to the cable outlet in the wall.

A. All student mail is delivered to a student’s mailbox within the Harre Union. Their mailing address will be the same as long they live in campus housing. The mailing address format for on-campus students is as follows:

Student Name

1509 Chapel Dr. Unit #_____

Valparaiso, IN 46383

Please do NOT include Valparaiso University in the address, as that may cause delays.


A. Pets (except fish), waterbeds, microwaves (except in Beacon, Guild/Memorial, Kade-Duesenberg German House, and Wehrenberg Halls), candles, and any open heating coil appliances are not permitted. Alcohol, drugs, and firearms are also prohibited.

Due to their high heat production, halogen floor lamps and light bulbs are prohibited from use. Halogen desk lamps may not exceed 50 watts and must have a protective glass lens over the bulb.

Please note that these are some of the most common items in question which are not allowed in the residence halls; this is not an all-inclusive list. For specific questions about items which do not appear on this list, please contact Residential Life. You may also consult the Student Guide to University Life.

A. You should bring towels, blankets, bedspread, sheets, alarm clock, laundry basket and detergent, iron, blow dryer, television, stereo, rugs, pictures, hangers, toiletries, desk lamp, etc. In short, bring what you need to make yourself feel at home. But remember, there is limited space in the rooms. Check with your roommate to make sure you are not bringing two stereos, two televisions, etc.

A. Vacation/break housing will be offered to international students and other residents who meet certain criteria. Break housing is provided in Uptown East Apartments, Promenade East Apartments, and Wehrenberg Hall (subject to change).All other residences close for vacation periods and academic breaks. This includes Thanksgiving break, semester break, and the spring term recess. Students who anticipate a need for housing over break periods may wish to pursue an assignment in the aforementioned areas. Students must meet certain eligibility criteria in order to stay on campus over vacation periods and must apply for housing prior to each break.

A. If your family has personal property insurance at home, check to make sure that the policy covers your belongings while you are at school. If it does not, consider purchasing renter’s insurance. Valparaiso University is not responsible for the personal property of students.

A. Each hall has kitchen facilities for resident use. Microwaves are available in most floor lounges but are not allowed in student rooms (except for Beacon, Guild/Memorial, Kade-Duesenberg German House, and Wehrenberg Halls) because of electrical supply limitations. Since most other appliances are prohibited, students are encouraged to prepare food in the appropriate kitchen located in each residence hall.

A. The term of the Housing Agreement is a full academic year. Any student who wishes to leave the residence hall at any time during the academic year for reasons other than graduation, marriage, permanent military duty, student teaching, or complete withdrawal from the University must have approval from the assistant dean of students for Residential Life or his designee.

A. Initially, you should go to your Resident Assistant. Your RA has been trained to assist you and is an excellent resource. You may also contact your Residential Learning Coordinator (RLC). Your RLC is the full-time staff member who lives and works in your residence hall and is there to assist residents.

A. Effective July 1, 2008, Valparaiso University is a Tobacco Free Campus. All residence halls and apartment complexes are designated NON-SMOKING areas. There is no smoking allowed anywhere within these buildings.

A. Beacon, Guild/Memorial, Kade-Duesenberg German House, and Wehrenberg Halls are air-conditioned. In addition, Uptown East Apartments and Promenade Apartments are air conditioned. There is an added cost for rooms in these halls. In addition, there are a limited number of air-conditioned rooms available elsewhere on campus for students with documented medical needs. Due to the limited number of available rooms, medical needs are prioritized based upon medical need, severity, and consultation with Disability Support Services. There is an additional fee to have an air-conditioning unit activated in the applicable room.

A. Most beds are a twin extra long (80 inch). Beds in Uptown East Apartments are standard full-sized beds.

A. For student safety, lofts, decks, and bed risers are prohibited in all residence halls.

A. Yes, you can bring your own personal computer for your room. All of the residence hall rooms and apartments have direct access to the University network (both wired and wireless) and internet. You will need to provide your own network and/or wireless cards. Each residence hall also has a 24-hour computer lab for resident use. To learn more about the specifications for computers in the residence halls, go to our University Information Technology website.

A. Depending upon the hall in which you live, a variety of lounges are available. Some lounges have TVs, VCRs, microwaves, pool tables, exercise equipment, and more. Others are set aside for quiet study or group project work.

A. Every residence hall and apartment complex has a laundry area with washers and dryers. The cost of laundry is built into the University room rate. As such, students will not have to pay out of pocket each time they do laundry.

A. Parking areas for residents are located near each of the halls. All are well-lit and patrolled nightly by University police. All students are required to register their vehicles with University police to obtain a parking sticker. Freshmen are generally not allowed to have cars on campus.

A. If you wish to bring your own, the refrigerator is limited to 4.0 cubic feet and must draw fewer than 5.0 amps of electricity. One refrigerator is permitted per room.

We have an excellent partner in the rental program, Collegiate Concepts, Inc. They offer different rental programs and a unique product called a Microfridge — a patented microwave/freezer/refrigerator. Roommates may sign up together and split the rental fee, and units are delivered directly to the room before you move in. To order or to learn more about the program, go to collegefridge.com and select Valparaiso University.

A. Yes, limited storage space is located in most residence halls for use by current residents only. Because space is limited, first consideration is given to international students and students who live more than 500 miles from the University. We suggest that you purchase a 30-gallon plastic tote for placing items into storage.

A. Each University-operated residence hall or living unit within it may arrange visitation hours (guest privileges), during which students may have a member of the opposite sex in their room, with the following limits:

For freshmen, the first four weeks of the fall semester:

  • Sunday – Thursday, 10 a.m. – 11 p.m., Friday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 1 a.m.

After four weeks (and for all upperclassmen):

  • Sunday – Thursday, 10 a.m. – 1 a.m., Friday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 2 a.m.

Students wishing to host a same-sex, overnight guest in their room may do so only with the advance consent of their roommate(s). All guests must be officially registered with the residence hall staff and may not stay more than three consecutive nights. Guests are expected to abide by all University and residence hall regulations.

A. If an answer you want is not found here, please submit your question via email to reslife@valpo.edu.

Print Friendly