More than 1200 Valpo students (over 35%) help finance their education at Valpo through campus employment, working an average of about 10 hours per week. Many other students work off-campus. Employment can be an important part of a student’s educational experience while on campus. Studies have shown that part-time employment of 10 to 15 hours per week does NOT have a negative impact on academic performance, but can produce many positive benefits. These benefits include:
- Fosters good time management.
- Helps to build a resume.
- Provides money for spending and/or paying school bills.
- Teaches good work habits, work ethic.
- Can reduce the need to borrow.
- Establishes professional contacts.
- Fosters involvement and a sense of belonging to the university.